twenty-three

Catherine had shown up to our place early. She hadn't said the real reason why she was here, only that she wanted to see Rae.

I slid on my shoes, throwing on my jacket while Jackson strapped Rae in her carseat. He was still shirtless and shoeless for a reason that I didn't know.

"Sage, I've known you for quite some time, I know you aren't looking to tarnish our name.." Catherine trailed off as she approached me with some papers.

"Mom, can we not do this right now?"

"Do what?" I asked, zipping up the jacket.

"She wants you to sign a prenup."

"A prenup?" I repeated, raising my eyebrow.

"It's not a dirty word." Catherine giggled while I stared at her.

"And you're okay with her bringing this to me?" I glared at him while he stayed silent.

"Some trust we have." I scoffed.

"Babe, no, I didn't mean it like that."

I rolled my eyes, grabbing the carseat and two bags, leaving out the door.

~

"Morning. Good to have you back." April smiled at Meredith.

"Morning. Thank you."

"So, when I was Chief..." April started, mentioning her temporary position as Chief of General.

"Interim Chief." Mer corrected her.

"I took the liberty of catching you up on all your backlogged resident reports, department budgets, supply orders, so-"

"I was gonna do that."

"Of course you were. I just figured, you know, the same way you fill the tank with gas when you return someone's car.." April trailed off.

"You stole the car." Mer said, smiling.

"You're welcome." April nervously said, leaving the lounge.

Alex and I laughed at Mer while she shrugged.

"I'm gonna pretend like I haven't noticed that ring on your finger." She said.

"How did I miss that?" Alex grabbed my hand, looking at the engagement ring.

"My boy showed out!" Carlos exclaimed as he came in, spotting it.

"You knew?"

"Of course. Carlos knows everything. Walk with me, Sage, got a case for you."

I rolled my eyes at the goofy doctor, following behind him. While we walked, we talked about the new case before suddenly stopping. He trailed off, staring down the hall.

I followed his line of sight, watching Raven as she talked to another doctor. I hadn't totally forgiven her yet for what went down. She tried to make subtle moves and apologize but I couldn't be near her yet without the memory taking over.