forty-four

"Someone broke in and robbed us." Jackson said as we looked at our ransacked apartment.

"You jinxed it!" I groaned, adjusting the stubborn toddler on my hip and walking through the place.

"It's, like, they knew what to take; the most expensive stuff."

"TVs are gone!" I shouted.

"Tell me my records are still here!"

I frowned, looking down at the empty box.

"Sorry!"

I continued my walkthrough, stopping at our closet. There was a box sitting in the middle of the floor. It was the size of a shoe box.

I let the toddler down; he ran out of the room. I picked it up, taking the top of to see a picture with a single word at the bottom.

 I picked it up, taking the top of to see a picture with a single word at the bottom

Surprise, sweetheart!

"This is unbelievable. Cops are on their way." Jackson said, coming into the room.

I continued to stare at the picture, not being able to move. A comforting squeeze was placed on my shoulders before the picture was snatched out of my hand.

"He's responsible!?"

"Jackson.."

"You're kidding me. Who the hell does he think he is? Son of a bitch has got some nerve."

Soon after, the cops arrived, taking down Jackson and I's statement about everything. He was more vocal about Nick while I only said a few words.

The cold, evil look in his eye, the discouraging words.. it was coming back, sending chills down my spine.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. I wouldn't lie about a man that abused and sexually assaulted my wife."

"Ma'am, is this true?"

"Yes."

"Great. We'll check him out and call you if we have anything."

"That's it? You're not gonna arrest the guy?"

"On what evidence? A picture isn't proof, anyone could have planted that."

"Yeah, or he could've done it himself."

"Whatever it is that you do, I suggest you stick to that instead of telling me how to do my job."