Chapter 30: Feelings

Alaiya's POV:

I finish my shift, and I've accidentally called three customers Roman about thirty times. They've all brushed it off, but I'm pretty sure they all think I'm crazy because with some of them, it was repeated multiple times.

"Peyton," I call behind her as she's walking to her car and I spot her.

She looks around to see who it is and when she sees it's me, she turns right back around angrily. I ignore how she probably hates me and continue to follow her because now I know that it was Carson who sent that message to her. It had to be.

"Please listen," I beg as I stand in front of her driver's seat door.

She looks everywhere else but hasn't plugged her ears in which means she can still hear me so I'll take it. I just hope I don't get slapped again.

"Carson was the one who told your parents," I get straight to it.

She scoffs, "Yeah, sure."

She tries to push me away, and I realize that she's not going to forgive me unless I tell her what happened.

Here goes nothing.

"He's in jail now, and the only reason he sent the message was that he didn't want us to move in together," I try and explain furthermore what I've put together, making her eyes widen at the 'he's in jail' part.

I probably should've elaborated more, but it's a little late.

"He's in what!" she exclaims.

"It's a long story, but I'm promising you that I didn't do it," I plead with everything I have left in me. "Please Peyton. I would never do something like that to you." I hold her hand gently and promise her from the bottom of my heart.

She looks into my eyes filled with honesty and guilt for letting it happen right in front of my own two eyes. I feel horrible to not have her in my life anymore since she was the only friend I had and I still care for her a lot.

"We can't be friends." She lets go of my hand, and now it feels like I've lost really her. "I forgive you because I know it wasn't your fault now, but I can't trust you again."

Tears swarm my eyes, but I push them back down because the least I can do is be thankful that she forgives me.

That's four people I've lost in a matter of days. Five if you include Roman who's going to be leaving today.

Why do I keep losing people?
Why doesn't anyone just stay?

"Okay." I at least take what I can get.

She forces a smile after I move out of her way so she can get into her car. I see her drive off as I'm making my way back to my car while making up my mind about what I should do. My grandparents offered for me to live with them, and they only live a couple of hours away so it could work. I could be close to the only close-living family I have, and maybe I could take online college courses. It's not like I have a huge future in front of me. Everything I planned to do was mostly with Carson. Buy a house together, get married, have kids. All of it, down the drain.

My phone buzzes, and I wipe the previous water that fell from my eyes away and reach over to grab my phone. I still haven't left the parking lot because blankly staring outside at this gray weather we're having today is better than anything else.

"Hello," I make my voice sound as natural as it can get.

"Hey," Ivy responds enthusiastically. "I wanted to ask if you wanted to watch the game with me tonight? Ya know, eat a bunch of shit, talk bad about people," she lists as she extends each word purposely, making a small smile form on my face.