Chapter 54: Drunk

Alaiya's POV:

It's almost ten-thirty and Roman still hasn't come back yet. I didn't think of anything of it before, but he was acting strange when he answered that phone call and that's only making me worry more.

I grab my phone and call him to see where he is and if he's at least alright. The ring stops the minute it goes through the second time, and I can't help but get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Is he okay?

I set my phone down on the counter and take a seat back on the couch as I think about where he could be. He wasn't specific about where he was going and basically just said he was with his dad whose number I don't have. I wouldn't be worried if it wasn't so late and dark outside.

He would've at least texted me.

My leg bounces as I try and focus on the show I was watching, though it's not working. I'm only getting more anxious, and most of my skin will come off if I keep picking at it on my nails the way I am right now.

All of sudden, my phone buzzes and I stand up before rushing over to see Bethane calling me. Disappointment washes over me not because it's her, but because it's still not Roman.

Where is he?
I really hope I'm worrying over nothing.

I pick it up and put it up to my ear. "Hello."

"It's Rider, is Roman with you?" he questions a little urgently instantly.

"No, he said he was with his dad," I reply anxiously.

"His dad called me to ask you if Roman was doing okay," Rider says confused, and now I'm more worried than ever.

"I've been waiting for him to get back but he hasn't answered my calls," I match his tone.

I think about where he could be because his dad doesn't know, I don't, and neither does Rider. It's not like Roman to just avoid everyone suddenly or not answer anyone's calls.

Then it hits me.

"Rider, did his dad tell you where they were?" I ask quickly because if I think what happened happened, then I don't know what state he's going to be in.

"Umm...," he stutters as he decides if he should tell me or not.

"Rider, please," I beg with everything in me because this is important.

"His mom...," he stops, making my heart drop beneath the ground immediately.

Oh shit!
Why didn't I notice!

I run over and grab my keys and purse from the kitchen counter. After, I speed-walk to the car as Rider tells me that he only knows that his mom passed away and that Roman's dad saw him leave. I ask him to text Roman's dad and ask him what the address is, and once I've got it, I drive there as fast as I can. Usually, I'm a three-mile below the speed limit kind of driver, but this time, I go a little above the speed limit to get there faster.

A car behind me honks at me like I'm not going above the limit, but I ignore him or her because I have to focus on finding Roman.