4 - Distant Glances

Wow. Just wow. I only published this book six or more days ago, and it already had 1,400+ reads? Damn.

Alright, admit it. We're all Ruv simps. 🖐😔

Ruv -

"Anyway, I need to go now. Have fun, you two~!" Sarv waves as she shuts the doors. I slouch in my pew. Fun? What fun is there when I'm stuck with them? I ask in my thoughts as I lean my head on the seat. I glance over to (Your Name), who was sitting on a pew which was farther from mine. They then look at me, causing me to look away to avoid their gaze.

"So, um, h-how long have you stayed here? My friends told me you lived here with Sarvente," (Your Name) asks, trying to break the silence.

I hesitantly answer, "Three years." I then glare at them. "Why do you want to know?"

"I... I just wanted to ask," they reply, feeling uneasy. "Uh... how did you and Sarvente meet?"

I scowl, "So you think you can just walk in here and expect us to spill all the beans to you?"

"Well, no... I-"

"Exactly." I sit up and rest my elbows on my legs. I could tell (Your Name) was staring at me with a hurtful look. I started to feel bad, but I knew I couldn't warm up to someone within less than a day.

"I-I'm sorry. I just wanted to start a conversation with you, that's all," they say with a shaky voice. Dang. Was I really that harsh? I guess it doesn't matter. I'm doing it for my own defense. I sigh and look back at (Your Name) with a little bit of regret.

"...Fine... chat all you want with me. On one condition. Just behave yourself," I warn. (Your Name)'s face lights up as they stand and hurry over to my pew and sit down next to me. I give them a confused look and started scooting away from them a little bit. "Why're you here?" I ask.

"I just thought it'd be easier to chat with you if I'm closer," they smile. They then look away from me, embarrassed. I look the opposite direction. This was the most awkward moment in my life. "Hey, um, I have a joke."

I give them a 'really' look. "I don't like jokes."

"But just listen to this one," (Your Name) grins. "Knock knock."

"Who's there?" I sigh.

"Hatch."

"Hatch who?"

"Oh? Bless you!"

I groan and glare at them. "That was terrible." They then start to laugh. I'll admit, their laugh sounded pleasant and sweet.

"Alright, your turn," they say.

"I rarely know any. I don't attempt to keep them in mind," I glance and stare at the white floor.

"Come on, there's got to be some joke inside that brain of yours," (Your Name) chuckles, poking at my head.

I scoff, "Actually, I do have one in mind. And it's for annoying people like you." (Your Name) stops poking me and frowns. Okay, maybe 'annoying' wasn't the right word. Damn. I sigh. "Knock knock."

"...Who's there?"

"Voodoo."

"Voodoo who?"

"Voodoo you think you are, asking me so many questions?"

They look up at me and frown even more.

"No more jokes," I say, glancing down at them.

"Can... can I at least get to know you?" (Your Name) pleads with a sad tone in their voice. I hesitantly nod. "Okay, I'll ask strange questions. What's the weirdest dream you had?"

"Weirdest dream?" I repeat. "Well, I once dreamt that my pillow came to life while I was sleeping and tried to eat me. I found a pistol in the corner and shot it."

"Wow, um..." (Your Name) says with a weird look on their face. "Another question: what's the most embarrassing thing you've ever worn?"

"Um... I'd say a tux that Sarv made me wear during a midnight party that was here," I mumble. (Your Name) then giggled.

"I think you'd look good in a tux," they smile.

"You think?" I ask, raising a brow. They nod.

"Alright, if peanut butter wasn't called peanut butter, what would you call it?" (Your Name) grins.

"I'd call it peanut paste," I shrug.

"Okay then. What's your favorite Disney princess?" they ask. I glance at them with a confused look.

"Well, I don't watch a lot of Disney movies," I say. "And even though she's not a princess, I'd say Mulan."

"Huh. My favorite is (Your Favorite Disney Princess)," (Your Name) says with a smile.

"Really? Her?" I ask.

"Yeah! She's (Favorite Princess' Character Traits)," they explain. I playfully roll my eyes. "Um, okay. I know this is sudden, but can I ask you more personal questions now?"

I stayed silent. "Depends how personal it is."

"Um, alright. H-How'd you get that eyepatch?" they ask, pointing at the ribbon on my face. I slightly touch it and sigh.

"Sarv gave it to me."

"Did you lose your eye, or?"

"Yes, as a baby. That's all you're gonna hear," I say.

"Okay... also, how the hell are you so tall? You're taller than Whitty!" (Your Name) exclaims, looking up to meet my eyes.

I slightly smirk, but then quickly stop due to the pain. "Don't know. You're tiny, by the way."

(Your Name) crosses their arms. "I have a normal height for my age."

"Pft, as if," I mock. Suddenly, (Your Name) stayed quiet for a while, it started to concern me a bit.

"Um, why's your face on that paper?" they ask, breaking the silence. I widen my eyes and quickly stand up.

"Why do you have to be so nosy," I growl.

"R-Ruv?"

"No more questions." I get out of the pew and make my way over to the hidden home and walk inside, leaving (Your Name) in the church. I grunt as I lean against a wall, putting an angered expression on my face. No one should be asking that question. No one should be finding out about me. In the church, I could hear (Your Name)'s footsteps come closer. I cringe as I heard their voice.

"Ruv? Are you in there? I... I'm sorry I upset you with that question," they apologize, knocking at the wall. I didn't even bother to answer. I hear them sigh and walk away. Feeling guilty, I frown at myself and make up my mind. I open the doorway, making (Your Name) turn toward me with a hopeful look.

"Just come in here," I mutter. They smile.