10 - Medicine & Slaps

(Your Name) -

Ruv plops me down on one of the front pews and sits down next to me. Sarvente stares at the half empty bowls of soup.

She sighs, "Oh, well. The soup is cold now." She picks up all the bowls and wobbly brings them into the hidden home. Ruv and I look away from each other, sitting in awkward silence. He then turns to me.

"Those damned kids really got you, huh?" he asks in a gentle whisper. I look up at him with a humiliated look.

"Mhm..." I respond quietly. Ruv then slowly, yet gently places the tips of his fingers under my chin, lifting my face to meet his. He turns my head side to side, analyzing the cuts and bruises.

"Hm... at least you're not severely hurt," he says, removing his fingers. "Should be able to patch you up in no time."

"Really? You can medically help people?" I ask.

He shrugs. "I've been living alone for most of my life. I'm self taught." I frown as he says this. Alone for most of his life? Why does that sound just like me? I turn away from him. "You're pretty brave, y'know," he randomly speaks up. "You stood up for the church even when no one told you to."

"Oh, um, I just didn't want to watch helplessly," I reply. He nods in agreement.

"Also, you're pretty stupid," he says with no expression.

"I'm sorry, what?" I yelp.

"You're stupid. First of all, you literally could've used your flashlight on your phone to go to the room and get a blanket... and instead you just waited it out... in the cold..."

"Oh..."

"Second... you knew those three were going to throw pebbles at you, yet you didn't bother to move."

"I couldn't just let them damage the church, can I?"

"And you're saying that you could just let them hurt you?"

I look away and frown, feeling needlessly uneasy. Ruv had a point. I sigh and try to change the subject.

"How're you gonna get that window fixed?" I ask.

"Sarv knows what to do," the Russian replies. He avoids eye contact as I stare up at him with a sad look.

"Also... thank you... for earlier."

"For what?" Ruv asks, finally looking down at me.

"For standing up for me. Maybe you're not that heartless after all," I snicker.

"Heartless...?" Ruv softly repeats, frowning. He stares at the ground with a hurt look on his face.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-" I start.

"No... it has nothing to do with you," Ruv replies, sighing. I look away, feeling bad. Sarvente then came back, holding some wet towels, a thermometer, and some medicine.

"Alright. Work your magic," she says, setting down all the materials on the pew.

"Mhm... (Your Name), you're gonna need to lie down," Ruv says. I lie down with my back against the hard surface of the pew. Ruv then goes off the pew and kneels next to me on the floor. He takes the thermometer and slips it into my mouth and under my tongue. It was cold. Ruv takes it out and examines it.

"A hundred two point three degrees," he reads.

"That's a high number..." Sarvente whispers. I tense up as I watched Ruv place some damp, warm towels on my head, my stomach, and my chest.

"What're you doing?" I ask, giving him a confused look.

"It's a technique of mine," Ruv replies. He then takes a teaspoon of medicine from the bottle and brings it up to my face. "I hope you like bitter medicine."

I scrunch up my face from the flavor. It tasted horrible. I hear Sarvente starting to laugh from my reaction. I swallow and glare at her.

"I'm sorry, your face, though," she gasps between laughs.

"Go and rest, (Your Name). I'll get a pillow and blanket for you," says Ruv, getting up and heading to the hidden home. Sarvente turns to me with her usual sweet smile.

"So tell me. Ruv defended you from those boys, did he?" she asks, smirking.

"Um, yeah," I reply, feeling anxious for some reason.

"You know, he may seem cold and rude at first, but once you really get to know him, he's a sweet guy," Sarvente shrugs casually. "I think you guys are cute together."

"Wha...? No way..." I decline, feeling embarrassed.

"Yes way~," Sarvente teases. We stayed silent afterward. "So, what now?"

"Hm. Don't know," I respond. "What's your favorite quote?" I ask out of nowhere.

"Ah, I know one," Sarvente smiles. "If you didn't know, 'forever' is a strong word to me. And my favorite quote is: 'I love that word. Forever. I love that forever doesn't exist, but we have a word for it anyway, and use it all the time. It's beautiful and doomed.'"

"I like that," I reply. "My favorite is (Your Favorite Quote)."

"I like that, too," Sarvente beams.

"Back," calls Ruv, holding a red blanket and fluffy pillow in hand. He lifts up my head and slides the pillow underneath. "That's my pillow, by the way. I couldn't find any others." I blush a bit as he drapes the blanket over me. He then walks away and into the hidden home.

"This is his pillow?" I ask, feeling it my hands. It smelled just like him. It was a pleasant scent.

"Yup. He has a fluffier pillow than mine, if I'm being honest," Sarvente giggles. I comfortably muzzle my head into the pillow as Ruv came back holding his phone.

"Might as well watch the slapping contests now..." he says quietly. I sit up as Ruv sits between me and Sarvente. He then opens a video, showing two muscular men standing across from each other.

"Who'll win?" Sarvente asks.

"Dunno..." Ruv replies, focusing on the video. The contest started. They started slapping each other alternately, each slap being harder than the last.

"Ouch. That looked like it hurt," I grit my teeth.

"I agree..." Sarvente says, worriedly.

After about five minutes, one guy's slap finally knocked out the other guy.

"Oh, I though the other guy would win," Sarvente pouts a bit.

"What do you mean? It was predictable," replies Ruv.

"Is that guy okay?" I ask, raising a brow.

We watched more of the contests for two more hours. Honestly, I'd say it was kind of interesting. After the last contest concluded, Ruv turned off his phone.

"K, now, (Your Name)..." He turns to me. "Go sleep."

"Dude, I've been sleeping so much the past few hours," I groan.

"Don't care. Sleep," says Ruv with an restrained tone. He walks away and back into the hidden home.

"I guess I'll stay with you," says Sarvente, leaning against the pew. I sigh and lean my head down on the super comfy pillow.