TAKE OFF

It was odd to think one could live a life without traveling, but a voyage meant moving around french regions on school field trips in Sierra's case.

Though close, Sierra had never left the French borders to visit the neighbor. Not by lack of interest, but she had nor the finance or the time. A scholarship student, Sierra worked and when the woman got her first paychecks buying an apartment was a priority, followed by amassing the luxury she only dreamt of having. Sierra had a mortgage, but at least the apartment was hers.

The woman never dreamt of a billionaire, prince or any other fantasy man known to offer the world to his spouse. Realistic, she thought about getting her own independently, and of course, paying a voyage even small abroad came before last on her bucket list.

Now she sat in a British Airways A320 flight for London. Stress and excitement linked hands as Sierra lived her first flight with her husband to be for her first visit to London to see her in-laws.

Finally, life was giving something back, and it was more than worthwhile. Even so, her thoughts ran to her son, who she left behind.

"I should call Jacob one more time."

"Sierra, you need to turn your phone off now."

Sierra proceeded to do so. The woman had read everything she could about flights and planes beforehand as she didn't want to seem like more of a novice than she was.

The aircraft was small, but still, it impressed Sierra, whose eyes darted like a ferret.

"You don't like planes," said vincent taking a hand.

A sheepish stare appeared on Sierra's face, and her cheeks rose to their highest peak since she clay built with Jonas.

"Sierra, what is it?"

"It's just it's the first time."

Vincent sat, "why didn't you say so?"

Yes, Vincent was the type of person to believe people took flights like one takes the bus.

"It's nothing, Vincent."

"Are you afraid?"

"I'm fine for the moment," Sierra said while her fingers tapped with stress on the outer armrest.

"Okay, you might have a weird sensation in your stomach when the plane takes off and," Vincent checked her belt, "just making sure."

"This is why I didn't tell you I knew you'd panic more than me."

"I'm not stressing. I just want you to be comfortable."

The flight attendants began the air flight safety and emergency equipment procedures demonstration. Their traffic light regulator gestures made Sierra giggle.

"Gosh, do they do this every time?" She asked.

"Yes, in every flight."

Sierra was impressed they never showed this part in movies. She always imagined they just served champagne and bought pillows.

The plane began its maneuvers. Sierra held vincent's hand as the plane started to move on the ground to the runaway, where it increased airspeed to reduce the length of the take-off run. All Sierra heard was the noise of the engines as the aircraft gained in power and took off.

"Are you okay?" Vincent asked as the plane began to climb. Sierra managed a slight nod. Vincent's voice sounded as though it traveled in a tunnel. What was wrong with her hearing?

Sierra didn't speak until the aircraft reached the right altitude and cruised. She heard a tiny corkscrew pop in her ears, and suddenly she heard adequately again.

"Wow, I feel like all the contents of my stomach came up and fell back down."

"You don't want to throw up or anything, do you?"

"No, I'm okay."

"You can loosen your seat belt now," Vincent said.

Sierra was happy; the flight was a short one; still, the stewards distributed English snacks and beverages. The woman was almost too sad to land.

Once out of customs, Elise and her husband greeted them, "Sierra, how nice to see you again. This is my husband, Ravi."

"Nice to meet you," Sierra said while Vincent shook his brother-in-law's hand.

Vincent's siblings were easygoing. His brother Jai, Sierra saw in Paris, didn't speak to her much but was friendly. Elise was extremely kind, perhaps too much. Sierra didn't know how to interpret her behavior, but globally, she felt comfortable. The only sibling she had not met was Ishaan, the oldest brother.

Vincent already warned Sierra that Ishaan did not smile a lot and was immune to any joke. Her fiancé also explained and apologized for the behavior he might have during their stay. The man went through a checklist where he even said he would no longer hold her hand or show signs of affection in his parent's or elders' presence.

Sierra was a little frustrated to see Vincent waited for the last minute to inform her but understood the man didn't wish for her to overthink their visit that he saw as a formality.

The Patels were modern, but they did observe some traditions. Vincent didn't hide that his parents were bothered by the fact he proposed without them meeting Sierra beforehand. The stakes seemed even higher for Sierra, who wished to make a good impression. Sierra had no idea of the handicap Vincent gave her by omitting to tell the Patels about Leone since the man also kept her in the dark.

Overwhelmed by the events' ensemble and assuming Vincent had shed all the light and detailed everything about her, Sierra didn't think to ask the man.

Elise eyed Sierra up and down; her attire was sober. The slim jeans hugged her curves, but she showed no skin, which was good. Like Vincent, Elise wished for Sierra to pass the test with her parents. The middle child was excited by the idea of having an in-law from outside the Indian community. Born and raised in England, Elise loved her culture but was more open-minded than Isshan or Jai, who lived and breathed Indian ways.

"The car is this way," Ravi said.

Sierra was about to take Vincent's arm when she stopped remembering what Vincent said.

Elise smiled; she was glad to see Sierra monitored her actions even if she didn't need to follow everything with her and her husband.

The drive to the Patel's house was one where Sierra's eyes remained glued on the window. Sierra admired the new landscape. Vincent's parents lived in Archway, and so Sierra got the opportunity to see some tourist sights flash by.

"We can visit tomorrow," Vincent said with a smile. The present take was too good and very true for Vincent, who had dreamt of this instant from their first encounter.

Sierra looked forward to sightseeing. She thought of her father, who never got the opportunity to travel, and considered herself lucky. Once again, Sierra reflected on life's inequalities, how she wished Mr. Lennox was with her to discover London.

Forty-five minutes later, they arrived in front of the Patels home. Elise popped her head between the two front seats, "ready, Sierra."

"Stop it, Elise, you're just adding to the stress."

While they got out of the car, the Patels came out to greet them.

Elise and Ravi stood aside while Vincent greeted his parents. Sierra stood back, she did not think it would be so nerve-racking to greet people, but the Patels were not destined to remain acquaintances. Thus the woman trembled. No, she wasn't ready at all. All she wanted to do is holler one of the black cabs and scream to Heathrow, step on it.

Sierra already had cold feet syndrome, and she wasn't even at the altar. The relatives looking from behind the curtains of the living room windows didn't help her.

How many people were in the house?

In other, circumstances Vincent would have held out his hand to offer her support, but he could not.

Sierra took a deep breath, come on, Sierra, you've got this.

Sierra advanced; all she saw was Elise, who blinked as if to say go on, it's time, "hello, Mr.and Ms. Patel."