HUNG OVER

Sierra's head throbbed. Her vision was blurred, but she could touch and feel it. After a good eye rub, she could see it.

The ring was reality.

The woman didn't dream, Sierra was engaged, and the pounding head was a gift from Jacob. Though it was late, for the first time in years, if not to say ever, her brother yelled.

"Sierra, what is wrong with you?"

"What do you mean? It's Vincent. It's not like I got hitched in Vegas with a stripper."

"Sierra, tell me why you want to marry him?"

"What a stupid question. I-I love him."

"Sierra, where was Vincent for the last six months?"

"Jacob, you know where he was."

"Yes, he was everywhere else but with you. The man debarks, sweet talks you for a few weeks, and you want to marry him."

"Yes, Jacob, we would already be engaged see married if Leone didn't arrive."

"Why did Leone's arrival change things if he loved you so? I told you back then. Your man would not be down with that. And he left you."

"No, Jacob, I drove him away, and besides, I thought you liked Vincent."

"Sierra, please," the man said, pushing a hand on her forehead as though he wished to exorcise the spirit possessing her body.

"Don't do that, Jacob. I'm not a child anymore."

Jacob was persuaded God tested him. Through Sierra, he would learn a valuable lesson, but he didn't know what. His discernment and calm nature jumped out the window as Jacob was scared for the first time. The man was sure Sierra didn't know what she was doing, and just the way she came home with Leone with a whirlwind decision, she chose to wed.

In other circumstances, it wouldn't have bothered him. Sierra was a grown woman old enough to know what was good for her, but here Jacob believed his sister fled and hid behind a semblance of romance. What outraged Jacob in that instant was his incapacity to confront her with what he knew.

He had no right to tell Sierra about Jonas's feelings, and he could not intervene any other way.

They argued until Leone woke up, and they called it a night. Sierra slept with Leone, and now she stared at her engagement ring while the infant dreamt of moments where he watched his mother and father cook while songs he didn't know played in the background.

The dream was so precious and warm that the infant preferred to sleep than face reality where one parent was missing.

Sierra remained in bed; Jacob's words hurt. He spoke to her as if she were an irresponsible brat incapable of taking care of herself or Leone. He told her to think of Leone's best interests. Sierra thought she did.

Why was Jacob so whined up? And he wasn't alone.

After she said yes to Vincent's proposal, May pretexted she wasn't feeling well ten minutes later and left. Only Jade remained to support her. Sierra was lost amongst the dozens of congratulations. Her head spun, and though she didn't drink, the woman felt she had the hangover of the century.

What had she done wrong?

Just as Sierra stared at her engagement ring, Jonas observed his phone screen and May's message in Sweden.

Are you going to let that happen?

If it was Sierra's choice, then the answer was yes. He would let it happen.