BENCHED

The door to Renault opened, and Sierra's face beamed with the brightest smile as she swiped her pass and headed to the lift. It was almost that time of the year where the company reviewed and handed out promotions as rewards. It was not the moment to flinch, Sierra the queen of sales of the concession. Of course, her performances lowered with Leone's arrival, but now she felt she had adjusted to her new lifestyle and rectified the poor performances.

"Sierra, can you step into my office, please."

It was rare for her boss to call her into the office; Sierra smiled, "yes, Mr. Dubois." She followed the man to the office.

"Please take a seat, Sierra. I won't be long."

Sierra pulled a chair and sat.

"How are you feeling, Sierra?"

"I am fine."

"Really?" The man asked with caution while looking at something in her breast pocket, making the woman stare at herself.

"Oh, oops, it's Leone's, I-forgot," Sierra pulled out a blue bib from her pocket.

"Sierra, you know it's that time of the year. I have been surveying your performances, and lately, you seem somewhat distracted."

Sierra waved her hands in front of her, "no, Sir, really, I just had a moment. I am good now."

Sierra's heart beat fast and furious as she waited to hear her boss.

"I am just wondering if you need a little time. Perhaps if you go in another less busy-."

"NO," Sierra yelled. 

She knew where the conversation headed, and Sierra did not like it. Le placard, the French expression which means being benched and put in the cupboard.

"Sir, with all my respect, I am fine. Thank you for worrying, but I don't need an arrangement."

"I understand the situation you are in now might be permanent."

Sierra wondered who spoke; perhaps the Gauthiers were behind this. Would they be capable of calling her workplace? Of course, they could. They gravitated in the same spheres as her bosses.

"Sierra, Sierra, are you listening?"

Sierra realized then what she had become. A lioness, ready to defend her cub and livelihood no matter the odds, but sometimes to win, one had to step down.

"Yes, I am listening, excuse-me, I must have sounded irrational.

The man nodded in approval.

"I just don't want to be treated as though I am suddenly incapable of doing my job. I agree that the responsibility I have recently acquired does demand a lot of focus, but I am okay now," Sierra smiled and hoped her speech convinced.

Mr. Dubois tapped the pen on the paper in front of him for a few seconds before saying, "Sierra, it's okay to show weakness; we're only human. The man then dismissed Sierra, who knew she escaped from being exiled to the placard.