HIS SISTER

"Jacob, do you think mom is in heaven?"

"Yes."

"Do you think she sees us?"

"Yes."

"Do you think she loves me?"

"Yes," answered Jacob, who read his five-year-old little sister a bedtime story.

Sierra.

Jacob loved her from the moment his father placed her in his arms. She was unique and their mother's gift to their family.

"Jacob, always watch over her."

"I will, dad."

Jacob vowed to protect Sierra.

What was he doing now?

Had he succeeded?

Time sure flew, and here she was, ready to marry. The man didn't know if he fulfilled his duty. Jacob spent his life worrying about her. There wasn't one minute where Sierra didn't fill his thoughts until his arrival.

Jonas came and spoke his intentions. His honesty reassured Jacob, who could detach himself from the lifelong task for the first time.

Never had one of Sierra's boyfriends appeased his mind as Jonas did, yet he wasn't Sierra's lover.

Vincent was a good man, but his being was scattered. He was ambitious, the type of man who planned everything and who hated improvisation.

Jonas was all about the unexpected, yet his poised manners made even the most stressful situation seem like nothing. Everyone saw his qualities. 

How could Sierra ignore them?

From their first encounter, Jacob trusted Jonas. He could not explain why. They just connected; he even found himself waiting to see Jonas in his confessional booth. When Jonas did come, Jacob feigned to lecture the man.

During the months Jonas was there, his sister didn't need him. Where most would be jealous, Jacob was glad.

Now Sierra chose the man with whom she wished to be. Jacob had no say. Still, he thought the situation was biased. He secretly found himself rooting for the outsider who was more the inside man than anyone was willing to admit.

Even if all the odds were against Jonas, something told Jacob it wasn't over yet. When Sierra told him the engagement was off, Jacob's first idea was to call Jonas, but he backed out of it. Scheming was not a righteous deed. Even if it was for a good cause, it was not his role to intervene.

The wedding was up and running and even scheduled for between the end of July and early August.

Sierra wanted to have good weather, especially since she would replay everything in England.

The ceremony in France would be small with only seventy-five guests, mostly friends.

Some would say it was a micro wedding. Vincent's family wished for something big; Sierra preferred a discreet party.

Jacob found himself wondering if his sister feared the expenses. Her wedding wasn't the first where he officiated. Jacob was well aware of the price ranges.

"Sierra."

"Yes, Jacob," she answered without turning away from the shelves she dusted with diligence. Jonas's imprint was strong. The woman continued to maintain his cleaning standards as if they were his legacy.