THE NEW REAL

Sierra made a choice, not because she felt obliged or because she loved Cecile unconditionally. No, Sierra thought of the child who did not ask for anything.

Leone was innocent; the baby lost his mom tragically. Like Sierra, he would not know his mother. Sierra knew she could never replace Cecile, but perhaps she could fill the gaps of love.

"Sierra, are you listening?" Jacob paced in front of his sister, wondering if she seized the impact of her actions, "so, let me recapitulate, stop me if I am wrong."

Sierra nodded.

Jacob resumed his pacing while gesturing, "Cecile had a baby, and she made you her son's tutor. So basically," Jacob stopped in front of Sierra, "your the baby's mom."

"I am what?"

"I knew it; I knew you did not assimilate the whole logic," Jacob said while pointing an accusative finger at his sister. The woman hadn't changed; she still imagined life choices were of a game of eeny meeny miny moe.

Leone tugged on Sierra's blouse, which now had a massive blotch of wet saliva, "stop it, Leone. Jacob, I did not know what to do. You should have seen their Gauthier's. They provoked me. I just could not leave him with them."

"Sierra, do you know what this means? A child is for life. It means caring about his well-being first. Do you think you can do that? I mean, you can't cook. You barely have time to clean your apartment. You take all of your clothes, including jeans, to the dry cleaners because you hate ironing.

The more Jacob thought of the situation, the more he panicked. Sierra was a woman whose brains boiled while she worked and was in an oblivious wonderland the rest of the time.

"Sierra, this child needs his room, daycare, and a medical follow-up. Can you handle all that? And your man, do you think Vincent is ready to endorse the role of substitute father or having his girlfriend become a parent?"

Jacob hit hard, but the shock treatment was necessary. The matter was not a fickle one.

The woman pondered, "I don't know, but I have to Jacob, I have to do this."

"Why, Sierra?"

A tear rolled down Sierra's eye, "- because, his hers. Jacob, you're the one always telling me to be charitable and to think about others."

"Sierra, this is different. You know the Gauthier's are not that crazy. One does not see a black woman raising a white child on the streets every day. Most of the time, the woman is either nanny or is married to a man who already had kids."

"I know, Jacob. I will take care of him; Cecile was family. Leone needs a family. Concerning the color of my skin, I don't see the issue. We have never seen the issue. I can not believe you said that."

Jacob stopped pacing, "Sierra, you know I cherish every single human on earth. I am just pointing the realities of this century and society. You are aware of how people are, and the Gauthiers will not leave you alone. They will attack and dig up all the dirt on you and our family. I just want to make sure you are ready to withstand that."

Jacob sighed and lifted his eyes to the ceiling, "the Lord works in mysterious ways. Perhaps there's a bigger plan behind this," the pastor said as though he tried to convince himself.

Leone giggled, and Jacob came to sit beside Sierra, "do you know something about that little feller?"

Leone smiled and tried to hide his face in Sierra's bosom.

"Jacob, I need your help with this. Will you help me?"

The man finally saw the resolve in Sierra's eye. It was the sign Jacob waited for as it was essential for Sierra to validate her new responsibility.

Sierra was a natural shrugger. Younger, she would shrug off any decision-making. Even when the choice made displeased, her Sierra would shake it off with a smile. Jacob could not let Sierra's passivity govern her in the current situation. Sierra had to take a clear stand not only as a woman but as a mom because, no matter the legal term, this was what she was.

Jacob pulled Sierra close in a side hug, which engulfed both Sierra and Leone, "of course, little sis."

Brrt, braaah, THPPTPHTPHPHHPH, Sierra's knees wobbled with the sound close to one of a machine gun.

"Oh, my," Sierra stood while lifting Leone from her knees. The baby giggled with glee as he let out the oozing odor of his diaper.

Jacob got up.

Sierra looked at her brother in panic, "Jacob, where are you going, don't leave me like this."

"I am going to get you some diapers."

"Don't lie, Jacob. God is watching you."

"Please forgive me," the man said before closing Sierra's door.

Luckily for Sierra, there was a small packet of Pampers in Leone's suitcase.

Sierra laid Leone on the couch, grabbed her phone on the coffee table, and googled: HOW TO CHANGE A DIAPER.

It was the beginning of a long journey for Sierra, who had only taken care of herself. The woman could not imagine the efforts and sacrifices of raising a child involved.

The first sacrifice was her office, which she transformed into Leone's room. Next, she proceeded to install safety doors. Her apartment resembled a mini labyrinth with dead ends for the baby and Sierra, who regularly bumped into secure access. Cupboards, doors, products all had to be shut or cleared. The woman could not believe the number of poisonous household products she had.

There were so many things to do before the social worker's first visit that Sierra had to inform her work and ask for a few days off.

After a week, all was ready. Sierra hoped to get some sleep; the woman could carry on praying.

The cries traveled to Sierra's room. She covered her head with a pillow, but she knew there was no use pretending. She got up and hurried to his room.

Leone's arms were already outstretched and prepped for carrying.

"It's okay, Leone, I'm here."

Being there was Sierra's new prerogative. Leone needed her; Sierra hoped to fulfill the role bestowed on her correctly for his sake but also for the sister she lost.