GRANDPARENTS

The silent treatment continued, and it disturbed the man who scraped more 3D simulations on Sketchup and Rhino in an hour than in the last five years of his career.

Some would say it was no big deal, but the compression point in his chest proved otherwise. Jonas had advanced on the Monopoly game that was their flat-sharing. The man felt as though he was back in the start square. No, he was in jail emotionally speaking, and their brawl just underlined genuine feelings the man had.

The following day Jonas watched as Sierra prepared Leone and his belongings. Jacob's words came crashing into his mind," you're the only one she trusts."

Efficient and straightforward, the words weighed, and Jonas found himself invested with the need to live up to the woman's expectations.

"Sierra, please don't be like this," Jonas said while she dressed Leone, "you're part of the equation. I don't dissociate Leone and you. All I'm asking is for you to trust me on this."

The woman stopped what she was doing and turned to stare at Jonas. Her puffy eyes bared witness to the tears she shed.

The man entered her bedroom and came to kneel next to her, "Sierra, I know you're keeping something from me. I can't help you if you don't tell me."

Sierra sighed and tilted her head backward to push back the tears, which would make her seem weak, "it's just these people they are manipulative, Jonas I'm afraidㅡ."

"Sierra, do you think they can buy me?"

"No, it's just they make themselves seem like saints but theyㅡ." Sierra stopped, "nevermind."

"No, it's not, nevermind. Talk to me."

"Just promise me not to let Leone out of your sight." Sierra returned her focus on the little boy, "there, Leone, you're so handsome," Sierra caressed the boy's head, and he leaned forward to hug her.

There was no doubt that Leone and Sierra's bond was something Jonas knew one could not break. They loved each other, and Jonas counted to do everything in his power to preserve them. No, the man did not dissociate Sierra from his son. The more the days passed, the more the was convinced Sierra equaled Leone's happiness.

Sierra accompanied Leone and Jonas to Gare de Lyon. The drive was also a silent one where Jonas took side glances at Sierra, who did not even bother to turn on the radio. At the station, she wore the happiest of poker faces to wave them goodbye.

The sentiment of being a jerk clung to Jonas like sticky chewing gum on a shoe on a warm summer day. He was only trying to be fair, he mentally repeated.

Four hours later, Jonas and Leone got off the TGV to be welcomed by the Gauthiers.

"Good lord, he's so grown. Gosh, he's handsome, look Timothy."

"I can see, Gladys, hello Jonas, welcome to Dijon." Mr. Gauthier shook the man's hands vigorously.

"I've been counting the days," Mrs. Gauthier said, "can I take him?"

"Gladys, let them touch the ground and give the boy some time."

They went out of the station to the Gauthiers SUV.

"I hope the voyage was not too rough."

"The man took a train, not a carriage, Gladys. My wife tends to make everything seem epic."

Jonas remained silent. It was not the kind of remark one wished to add a comment. He disliked the old fashion way certain men had of speaking in their wives' stead as if they were incapable of expressing their opinions. The Gauthiers were old, and Jonas made abstraction of the comment he put on account of mid-1950′s education.