BIRDCAGE

"What do you do for leisure here?"

There's the gym, the swimming pool and the piano room as you saw. We rarely need to leave the villa. One can't be bored here."

"I meant in Dijon."

An awkward silence filled the room; what Jonas retained was the Gauthiers were a little disconnected from the rest of the world. If Leone lived with them, house employees or Bertrand's wife would probably raise him.

The next piece confirmed his thoughts.

"Leone will be happy here. Colette has plenty of time on her hands since she doesn't have children yet," Mr. Gauthier said.

The response made Jonas uncomfortable still; he managed to counter, "perhaps Colette would like to use her time differently. I mean, she has her writing."

Bertrand turned to look at his wife, "she has nothing else to do in it, darling?"

"No, apart from trying to meet chapter deadlines, I have none. It's not like my profession is essential."

The cold and sharp tone strangled the already dying ambiance. If the last train for Paris were not at in ten minutes, Jonas would have bailed out.

The meal continued rhythmed by more high shots and tennis lobs sentences released here and there. In the end, the men retired in Mr. Gauthier's office while the women went to sit in the living room.

This was another old-fashioned ritual that made Jonas uneasy. The more hours he spent at the villa, the more the man felt it was not fit for Leone.

If the first part of the visit left a place for reflection, the evening gave Jonas a definite answer. After spending half an hour with Bertrand and Mr. Gauthier, who talked politics, immigration, and footfall. Jonas needed a little air.

Mr. Gauthier let him do, as it showed they had nothing to hide.

Leone was exhausted, but the boy held.

Was it the new environment or the fear to close his eyes and waking up to find Jonas gone that kept Leone up? The question kept playing on Jonas's mind.

Having promised Sierra not to let the boy out of his sight, Leone spent his day and evening in his father's arms.

He walked a few meters around the mansion when he fell upon Colette, who threw down the cigarette she smoked, crossed her arms, and stepped on it.

"I hope I don't need to tell you not to speak of this."

"I'm not that type of person."

"I know, you're not like them."

"You neither."

Colette laughed, "I'm closer to them than you think."

"How long have you and Bertrand been married?"

"Two years, three days."

"That's accurate."

"Yes, like a prison sentence."

"Are you happy, Colette?" Jonas mentally smacked himself for his intrusive question.

"People do weird things for money," replied the woman before strutting away. Jonas followed; perhaps Colette could fill him in on the Gauthiers.

Colette entered by the kitchen door and began to wash her hands frantically.

"Bertrand doesn't like you to smoke?"

"I doubt my husband likes anything in this world except himself."

The remark left Jonas speechless. Colette filled the silence, "what do you want, Mr. Pottsman?"

"I want Leone's happiness."

"Then you've come to theㅡ."

"Colette."

Mrs. Gauthier stood at the kitchen's door.

Colette smiled and headed to the door, where she threw a side glance at the older woman who looked relieved to have stopped the imminent catastrophe.

"Oh, poor boy, he must be tired," Mrs. Gauthier said and approached to look at Leone. "Come on, Jonas. I'll show you your room."

The room was vast and impersonal—bed, desk, and window, nothing else. Jonas found his bags beside the bed, and he realized he had not seen one piece of technology since he arrived. No television, computer, or sound system; the entire villa was hi-tech free. Jonas was cautious not to make hasty interpretations, perhaps the Gauthiers hated noise, or it was part of the strict religious precept they followed. Either way, none of the possibilities was incompatible with someone's upbringing.

"If you need anything, just dial one the phone's keyboard for Mounia and two for Robert."

"Thank you."

"Goodnight, Jonas."

"Good night."

"Well, Leone, that was a long day."

Leone's bleak expression attested he did not enjoy himself. Apart from flaunting their richness, the Gauthiers showed little interest in the child. They spent the day telling Jonas to give his son to Mounia. Jonas no longer understood why they were so eager to have him when it was apparent they would choose their daily occupations over Leone.

Though Leone trailed fatigue, the boy was restless like his father. Jonas grabbed his phone and scrolled in his repertoire. The temptation to call Sierra was strong.

Would she reply?

It was only 9:30 PM, and perhaps a Facetime with her would appease Leone.

The man dialed, for his son's sake. The pretext was perfect.

Sierra picked up at the first ringtone, "hello, are you okay? Did anything happen?"

Her skin shone from her nightly beauty ritual, she had her hair tied in a bun, and she sat up on her bed.

Just seeing her face brought a grin to Jonas's face. Even if Sierra cursed him, the sight of her was worth the hassle, "calm down, Sierra, we're fine. I just thoughtㅡ, em, Leone would be happy to see you." Jonas lowered his phone so that Leone could see Sierra.

"Baba."

"Hello, Leone, how I miss you so."

The little boy bounced up and down on Jonas's knees and began his explanations. Jonas could only imagine what Leone expressed as he, too, wished to deliver all of the day's antics. Still, he remained silent, for he preferred to listen to Sierra's voice and watch the mimics and smiles she reserved for Leone.

"What are you guys doing now?"

"We're about to go to sleep."

"How did it go?"

"Eh, I'll tell you about it when we get back."

Sierra understood perhaps he was not free to talk.

"Okay."

"And you, what are you doing?"

"I was reading," Sierra showed the cover of La Grande Famille by Camille Kouchner.

Jonas noticed Sierra read a lot when she when stressed. The man hated to be the cause of the disturbance.

"Sierra, you know Iㅡ."

"It's okay, Jonas. You guys must be exhausted. You should go to sleep."

Sierra's face still held the stigmas of sadness, but she smiled. Even if it was a lie, Jonas let her expression appease him.

"Il faut dormir Leone, fait dodo." [you have to sleep, Leone, go to sleep. Dodo is a word meaning sleep only used for kids], Sierra ordered.

Leone hugged Jonas.

"You're right. I'll put Leone to sleep. See you tomorrow, goodnight Sierra."

"Goodnight Jonas, bisous Leone."

Sierra hung up after blowing a few kisses at Leone, who blushed and hugged his father's shirt. With the call, the terrible day ended on a positive note.