PRESENT

Fatigue knocked on everyone's eyelids. All the Patels dreamt of their warm bed. Aisha took everyone by surprise, eclipsing Sierra, who most forgot except one person in the household.

"Where's the girl?"

"Which girl, mother?" Ms. Patel asked as she made herself some Chamomille tea.

"Vincent's fiancée."

"You heard the discussion, mother. She isn't his fiancee anymore."

The elder lady frowned, "what? Why?"

Ms. Patel shook her head from side to side, "were you sleeping this all time." she said, avoiding calling her mother-in-law senile.

"No, I thought they would patch things up."

"What? The woman has a child."

The old lady shrugged, "it doesn't change the fact he loves her."

Ms. Patel's mouth remained open while the tea overflowed from her cup," oh gosh, look what you made me do." The woman said as she realized the saucer was full.

She cleared the saucer and came to sit and watch the old lady unwrap her present.

"Are you really opening it?" She asked while twirling her spoon in her tea.

"It's a gift. Why shouldn't I?"

Ms. Patel muttered something under her breath and took a sip of her tea while watching the old lady's reaction, "what is it, mother?" she asked when she saw the old woman's face light up.

The elder lady lifted Saregama Carvaan's portable vintage player. It was not expensive but an incredibly thoughtful gift as it would allow the old lady to listen to over five thousand retro songs of her youth.

"How did she know?" The older lady said while turning the playback to the front.

"You've never expressed the need to have it."

"But you all could have thought of it."

Ms. Patel was curious to know what was in her parcels but did not want to seem eager in front of the older woman.

"Go on, open yours," the older lady said.

Prompted, ms Patel grabbed hers and began to open. The first present was a dupatta. The silk scarf was one of the most beautiful the woman had seen in years. All the details were handcrafted. One could only find such a detailed piece in India.

How did Sierra manage to find it?

Underneath, there was another surprise, a complete set of Shu Uemura products no longer available in great Britain. Mrs. Patel had spent months trying to find the skincare in vain.

Excitement seized Vincent's mother, who ripped the paper off the other parcel like a child unwrapping a Christmas gift. It was a crochet beginners pack, the woman frowned.

Didn't Vincent tell Sierra she was an expert?

Something else retained her attention at that instant. A letter sat between the items. She opened and began to read silently under the older lady's glare.

Dear Ms. Patel,

Vincent told me you were an embroidery expert. I've never been crafty with my hands, but I'm learning. This gift is very selfish, as it represents my wish to learn.

I never knew my mother, and I hope to learn many things from you.

I know this might sound pretentious, but I wish one day you might see and accept me as a member of your family and that you'll teach me your crochet techniques.