NO DESSERT

"I don't know if I can eat this. It's a work on art."

The dishes resembled paintings, not blurry acrylic but bold gouache of colors. The small portions sat in gleaming immaculate plates.

Sierra understood how people developed the fetishism of taking photos of food.

"Eat; the food will get cold."

If at first Sierra doubted being filled, she quickly revised her judgment.

"So you were saying?" Vincent prompted as he tried to make Sierra pick up on the subject they discussed before the meal's arrival.

"Yes, I got my promoted. I've got a two weeks induction in the south."

"South? You mean, in the South of France."

One could read panic on Vincent's face. Sierra hurried to reply, "no, South of Paris. I'll only have three concessions at first."

"Oh, I see."

The man was relieved; Sierra finally obtained the long and very awaited advance. Vincent was happy for her, even if it meant she would work more. At least it was a lesser subject to worry about.

"At first, I was a bit stressed by the workload, but having Jonas around helped me."

There he was again.

It was only the second time the woman pronounced his name, yet it was already too much for Vincent, who chose to use the know-thy-enemy approach.

"What does he do for a living?" Vincent asked after taking a sip of his wine.

"Who? Jonas. He's an architect; his work is amazing. He's so crafty with his hands," Sierra said with a lot more enthusiasm than she expected.

Vincent unleashed a nervous smile, "really."

"Yes, I mean he can create a concept, but he's also able to do it manually. He does pottery; he owns Moder Yord."

"He owns what?"

"You know, that designer Scandinavian brand that makes furniture sold in IKEA."

Vincent's eyes grew wide, "what? Leone's father is a millionaire entrepreneur. Your friend knew how to pick them."

Sierra's lips flattened as her enthusiasm deflated like a balloon, "don't talk about Cecile as though she's, I mean, she was some gold digger. I don't know if Jonas is a millionaire. He doesn't behave like one," Sierra shrugged, "he's not needy, that's all."

"Sorry, Sierra, it wasn't my intent to talk about Cecile."

Vincent regretted his spontaneous reaction. The man had no idea of the impact of his words. Within three sentences, Vincent reminded Sierra of everything separating Jonas and her.

"It's okay; it's me. Anything concerning Cecile makes me edgy."

"How are you sleeping?"

Vincent didn't want to bring it up, but sleep was a good barometer of Sierra's state of mind.

Sierra played with the grains of rice on her plate while she replied, "I sleep."

"Good, I'm delighted to hear that."

The sandman didn't sprinkle more dust on the woman, but at least she no longer sleepwalked. The episodes which began when Cecile revealed her story ended when Sierra entered college.

Cecile's death made Vincent keep one eye open as Sierra relapsed. Strangely enough, Leone's arrival had the positive effect of putting a stop to it.