DONA

Jonas tried, but his trip to the monastery opened his eyes. He loved Cecile; he clung to the woman and held her hostage with possessive love.

In the end, he lost her to death, and now he loved Sierra, he wished her happiness. Jonas preferred to lose her to life and see her with someone else than imposing on the woman something she didn't want.

As Karma said, Jonas fulfilled his mission. It was time to go, May was around the corner but did Jonas need to leave at that exact time?

The Gauthiers were quiet for the moment, and if anything happened, the lawyers had instruction to contact him, not Sierra. She was safe, and so was Leone. All was well, and Jonas no longer had a reason to stay. Sierra had Vincent, and she made her choice clear. Jonas still could not digest finding Vincent in Sierra's kitchen upon his return from Normandy.

Patience.

Jonas meditated; he tried to keep negative thoughts away and made abstraction of his desires. Instead of repressing his inner conflicts, he accepted their existence and hoped time would do its duty.

Sierra left for work as usual and told Jonas she would pick up Leone. As soon as he dropped Leone off at daycare, he returned to the apartment to finish packing. He had already cleared everything in the basement. Jonas proceeded to unplugging his computer material and packing the rest. Once done, he went to the basement and brought up Sierra's chair, which he left in Leone's room.

The man hated farewells, and he did not want Sierra to reunite her brother, friends, and a few other people for a last-minute get-together. Neither did he wish to watch Vincent's live proposal to Sierra. The thought alone was the death of him.

At 1 PM, the same lorry that brought Jonas from Sweden arrived. The men proceeded to get Jonas's belongings out of the apartment. Strangely enough, it took less time to load the vehicle than to unload it. An hour later, Jonas was ready to leave.

Jacob arrived just in time to see the man off, "Jonas."

"Jacob, you made it," Jonas said with a smile. Though he hated goodbyes, he was glad to see Jacob took his time to see him.

Used to seeing Jonas in his confessional booth, the man's call came as a shock to Sierra's brother. It was a first but also a last as Jonas announced his departure.

Of all the scenarios, this one was the least probable for Jacob, who knew how much Jonas loved Sierra and his son. All seemed surreal. It was unthinkable, even for Jacob, who remained neutral in all circumstances.

The brother overtook the man of God as he tried to sway Jonas's resolve, "Jonas, are you sure about this? I mean, you still haven't expressed your feelings to my sister, perhaps."

"Jacob, I'm good. I came here for a reason. I did what I had to do. Now I have to go."

"But you love her."

Jonas handed the last bag of clay to the lorry driver, who staked it with the rest at the back of the truck. He then returned his focus to Jacob, "yes, I do, and that's why I'm leaving."

Jacob shook his head and followed Jonas to the front of the lorry, "Jonas, I'm sorry, but I don't understand. No, seriously, Sierra will be devastated, and Leone. This departure is too abrupt. You can't just leave them like this. Why flee?"

Jonas opened the door to the passenger seat and turned to face Jacob, "I'm not fleeing. I'm ready to face any reality or trial with your sister. I'm ready to go all the way, but Sierra doesn't want me. She doesn't see me as a man. I'm just Leone's father for her and not a potential match. I'm sorry, Jacob, staying and going through the whole farewell process will be too much for me."