THE SHORTEST NIGHT

Elise was right; many were reluctant to accept foreigners into their family circle. Even if social made interracial couples the latest trend by displaying mixed celebrity couples by dozens, the reality was something other. Of course, Sierra and Vincent lived in European metropoles where their couple was not a rarity, but it did not mean that all saw such unions in a good eye.

Their couple was still a sensitive subject in most Asian and African communities. As for European countries, racism still walked like a lone ranger in some areas; people just kept their opinions to themselves, only loathing with their eyes on most occasions.

Sierra knew where she placed her foot when she accepted Vincent's proposal. It didn't scare her, just as she wasn't afraid to raise Leone. Prejudice was everywhere, and Sierra was willing to fight, but Vincent's way wasn't right.

"Sierra, wait here. I'll go and see what is going on," Elise said before hurrying back inside, and Sierra continued to pace.

"What is going on here?" Elise asked as she entered the living room, where she found Vincent held back from leaving by Jai and Ishaan telling him to sit back down.

"Guys, we have a guest, and you're acting like idiots."

"It's him; he's the one who is unreasonable and trying to make everyone bend to his will," Ishaan said, almost mocking his brother. "Listen, Vincent, if you don't want to talk, you can forget about her."

"Ishaan, I think I still run this house," their father intervened, "come and sit Vincent. Let's talk; you know we're only saying this for your good."

"What's the point? You've all already made your decision. Let go of me, Jai."

Their father nodded, and Jai let Vincent pass. He went straight to the garden, "Sierra."

"I want to go home," she blurted.

"Please, Sierra, listen to me," the man said while he tried to place his hands on her shoulders, only to see the woman shrug them off.

"No, you listen, your family doesn't want me here. Why didn't you tell them I had a son?"

"Sierra, things were already difficult. Convincing them that I didn't want to be set up was complicated. I wished for them to meet you."

"And so you decided to lie."

"I wanted you to have a chance; I wanted them to see what a marvelous person you were first."

"Vincent, I already told you. When defining who I am, you can't take Leone out of the equation. I thought you understood, but I was wrong. You've been pretending, haven't you? You lied, Vincent. You made me believe you accepted Leone. Why? I never asked for this. I don't need this drama."

"Yes, Sierra, I lied. I did it because I love you, and you're right am still adapting. Things would be different if you were a mother when I met you. This situation fell upon us, and it's unfair because I never asked for this either. All I ever wanted is you, and you have Leone now. So yeah, I'm willing to support the situation as long as we're together."

"Support, it's more like you're tolerating for my sake."

"Sierra, please, don't make me say things I didn't. I love you; I don't care what they think in there."

"Vincent, there's no one in your family that wants me to marry you. Tell me why I should? When you don't have an ounce of love for my son, and neither will they."

"Sierra, you have no idea. Do you think in-laws welcome all the fiancées who enter their house with open arms?"

"Please, Vincent, stop it. I know, but I came here thinking they knew everything about me, at least. I thought time could do its duty with them, but you blew that chance. What do you think their opinion is about me now? For them, I probably put you up to it."