Chapter One

It's a beeping that Cassandra hears first. Soft. Close by. But there is something comforting about it. Something familiar. She's felt like this before too. Aching. She shifts a little, fingers brushing over the fabrics around her. Hospital-grade. She's in the hospital. That's why it all feels familiar. This is not the first time she has woken up here. She reaches up for her head, fingers threading through her hair to touch the back of her head. Three head wounds in one day. Boy, that has got to be a new record. The last thing she remembers is hitting her head and maybe someone stood over her. Elena stood over her. It's not even the head injury that is bothering her. It is what came before that. Damon and Elena. Making out on the porch. For the whole world to see. As if she is nothing. Her sister and her lover. It's okay to be upset about that. Of course, it is. But she's livid. Elena knows that she actually likes Damon. Maybe even loves him. And she still did that to her. Cassandra turns her head as her eyes open to find Elena at her side. Eyes closed, but her fingers clutching to Cassandra's arm. Cassandra pulls a face. How dare she. How dare she comfort her after what she did to her. Cassandra tugs her arm away from her sister, who wakes with the movement and frowns as she turns a little. Realises that Cassandra is awake.

"Oh, my God, you're awake" Elena lets out relieved. "I was so scared, Cas, you were just laying there...." Elena notes the hostility in her eyes and frowns. That's new. "Cas" She whispers and touches Cassandra's hand. Cassandra rips it away from her.

"Don't you dare" Cassandra scolds her. Elena frowns harder.

"What did I do?" She asks Cassandra who shakes her head. She can't believe the nerve on Elena, trying to deny what she has done. Acting as though it's not a big deal. 

"You know" Cassandra argues and presses the heel of her palm into her head.

"Cas, I don't know what you're talking about" Elena argues. "I don't know why you're so upset with me"

"I don't want you in here, leave," Cassandra tells her. Elena looks at her sadly. The door to the room opens and Damon walks in. Cassandra turns a glare on him. "You too" She warns, Damon gives her a look.

"What the hell happened?" Elena asks Damon who frowns at her.

"Get out" Cassandra snaps at them. "Just both of you get out!"

"What did he do?" Elena asks, motioning to Damon. 

"He knows what he did" She hisses at Damon who sighs.

"And I know why you're upset but let me explain" He argues as he moves closer to her, he takes her arm. "Look, just...look" He raises her hand to his forehead and nods. "Read my mind"

"I don't want to relive it" She argues trying to pull her hand back, but he keeps hold of it.

"Cas" He stops her. "If you felt anything for me, even just a little something....you will look" He whispers to her, just for her. She sighs, stares at him, his eyes pleading with her to do this for him, for them, to just look. She then nods a little. He releases her hand and closes his eyes. Cassandra pulls a small ball of mist into her balm before she lets it flow into his mind. She watches it all play out, from his point of view. But something about 'Elena' bothers her. Something is wrong with the picture. Something off. She pulls her hand back and then realises.

"Oh my god," She whispers. Damon frowns.

"What?" He asks her. She looks at Elena.

"Elena, can you get me a soda?" Cassandra asks, Elena frowns and looks between the two of them.

"Not sure you're allowed soda, but I'll get you some water instead" Elena offers and then leaves Cassandra alone with Damon who touches her hand.

"What's going on?" He asks her.

"It wasn't Elena" She answers.

"Then it is someone who looks an awful lot....son of a bitch" He clocks on rather quickly and looks at her. "Katherine" She hums and nods. "I should have realised" He whispers and threads his fingers with her and pulls them up to kiss the back of her hand. "I...I didn't start it....and I didn't want...."

"I know" She assures him. "I saw..." She sniffles a little. "I should never have said what I said to you" She whispers. "I was so mean" he nods and gives her a small teasing smirk.

"No harm, no foul. Stefan's said worse to me on an average day" He brushes her hair back her face. But he is worried. Katherine is trying to get between them already. He can't let it happen again. Katherine is not going to take this one away from him. "You know" He starts and gives her a small smile. "I wouldn't do that to you" He whispers softly. "Not after Lockwood...." She nods a little and then shrugs. She didn't realise how hard she was finding it to trust that, there were no signs of her feeling that insecure about her relationship with Damon. But her relationship with Tyler was bound to have left its mark on her. He brushes tears from her face and gives her a smile. "So how the noggin?" He asks.

"Damon, she was in my house," She tells him. "It wasn't John's strike that got me...it was Katherine. She knocked me out" Damon closes his eyes and lets out a breath. This is his fault. He grew attached to Cassandra. Katherine is targetting her because of him. Just like she did with Ally. "You okay?" She asks him, he looks at her and lets out a small snort. She shrugs back at him. Here she is in a hospital bed and still thinking about him. He touches her head and strokes her hair.

"Don't worry about me, Buttercup" He tells her. "I'll be fine. Always am. Always will be"