Chapter Forty-Two

Elijah is still studying the twins before he then takes a step back, straightening his suit jacket a little and then motions with his hand. Cassandra is unnerved by it. There is just something about him that bothers her, something that bothers her so much that she doesn't even want to look into his mind. She doesn't want to go in there. She realises that it probably says something about him if he gives her that feeling. Elijah then looks at the girls.

"We have a long journey ahead of us. We should be going" He tells the two of them. Elena looks at Rose.

"Please, don't let him take us" Elena begs but Rose just turns away slightly.

"One last piece of business and we're done" Elijah comments as he moves towards Trevor.

"I've waited so long for this day, Elijah. I'm truly, very sorry" Trevor stammers out sounding very apologetic.

"Oh, no, your apology's not necessary" Elijah assures him. 

"Yes, yes, it is. You trusted me with Katerina and I failed you" Trevor admits.

"Oh, yes, you are the guilty one and Rose aided you because she was loyal to you and that now I honor," Elijah adds. "Where was your loyalty?" He asks.

"I beg your forgiveness"

"So granted." Trevor smiles but Elijah just karate chops Trevor's head clean off his body. Rose lets out an anguished cry. Elena is shocked, she shifts closer to Cassandra who's eyes are wide, because even for her that's dark.

"You...!" Rose cries out.

"Don't, Rose, now that you are free" Elijah warns her. Rose looks down at Trevor's body before she vamp-speeds towards Elijah, to attack. He sighs and thrusts his hand into her chest. Elena jumps and grabs Cassandra's arm as Elijah rips out Rose's heart. She falls, dead, to the floor next to Trevor. He drops her heart next to her and pulls out a hanker chief and cleans his hand of the blood before turning to the girls. "Come" He orders of them.

"No" Elena whimpers. Cassandra looks at Elijah, she just needs to buy them time. She can feel Damon's mind. Which means he's close. Just buy time.

"What about the moonstone?" She asks, he looks at her and raises an eyebrow.

"What do you know about the moonstone?" He counters.

"I know that you need it and I know where it is"

"Yes?" He asks, indicating for her to continue.

"I can help you get it," Cassandra tells him.

"Tell me where it is" He demands of her.

"It doesn't work that way" Cassandra counters, Elijah is amused by this.

"Are you negotiating with me?" He asks her and steps closer to her. Cassandra holds up her head as Elena sinks back behind her. "I know I can't compel you" He points out. "But I can her" He nods to Elena. "Tell me where the moonstone is" Elijah adds firmer. She knows what he's getting at. She tells him the truth or he compels Elena. Elena is scared enough already. Cassandra glances over her shoulder at Elena who's eyes are pleading with her.

"In the tomb, underneath the church ruins," Cassandra tells Elijah as she turns back to him.

"What is it doing there?"

"It's with Katherine" Cassandra answers. He cocks his head, intrigued by this information.

"Interesting" He comments. They hear breaking glass from upstairs, Elijah turning his head to glance at the door. "What is that?" He asks the girls, Elena shakes her head. He grabs Elena and Cassandra by their arms, his hands tight around them to keep them secure. He drags the girls out of that room and head into the main lobby of the house where Stefan and Damon are moving around them with their super speed. Elijah releases Cassandra and Elena and pins them both with a look. "Stay" He orders of them.

"Up here" Stefan calls from the top of the stairs. Cassandra and Elena share a look. Both relieved. Elijah goes up the stairs with his super speed.

"Down here" Damon adds. Elijah receives in stake in his hand. He removes it. Elena and Cassandra have disappeared. Elena is with Stefan. He tells her to be quiet. Damon is with Cassandra. He has his hand on her mouth and gestures to be quiet. She nods back at him. He winks and kisses her nose.

"Excuse me" Elijah calls out for their attention. "To whom it may concern, you're making a great mistake if you think that you can beat me. You can't. Do you hear that?" He breaks a wooden coat rack into a stake and turns it around in his hand. "I repeat, you cannot beat me" Elijah warns them. "So I want the girls, I'm gonna count to three or heads will roll. Do we understand each other?" Elena appears at the top of the stairs to face Elijah. Damon turns Cassandra around and grabs at the restraints on her wrists, snapping them, breaking her free. She lets out a relieved breath and turns to face him, the two of them sharing a look, his hand soft on her cheek.

"I'll come with you, just please don't our friends, they just wanted to help us out," Elena tells Elijah.

"And your sister?" He asks her.

"Here" Cassandra offers as she steps out of cover at the bottom of the stairs, her hands held behind her back to hide the fact that she is free, Elijah looks at her and then back at Elena. He goes up the stairs with his super speed. He has the stake in his hand.

"What game are you playing with me?" Elijah asks Elena who swallows a little. She throws the vervain bomb in his face and it explodes. His skin burns but he heals immediately. He goes toward Elena but Stefan arrives and shoots him with the compressed air weapon. It doesn't hurt him so Stefan just throws the weapon, Elijah gives Stefan an annoyed look and takes a step to attack. Cassandra throws out her hands and wraps Elijah in red mist, she turns slightly and throws him down the stairs before releasing him. Stefan moves to Elena, to get her out of the way. Elijah gets up immediately and goes toward Cassandra but Damon appears and stakes Elijah with the broken coat rack. He pushes him against the door. Pinning him into place. Damon lets out a breath and takes a few steps back. Cassandra touches his back and he turns to her. He smiles. She smiles back at him. He is then cupping her cheeks in his hands as he looks over her for injury, he just wants to make sure she's okay.

"Are you hurt? Are you okay?" He whispers to her, she shakes her head a little.

"I'm fine" She assures him as she wraps her fingers around his wrists. He lets out another breath, letting himself relax now. He kisses her and then pulls her into a hug. She curls into his chest and closes her eyes as he kisses the top of her head.