Chapter Twenty-Five

Elena is with Stefan when he comes around, the last to wake, she's sat at his side, but her eyes are on Damon and Cassandra across the cell. Caroline and Liz are across the far side, Liz trying not to show her disgust at the fact that her daughter is now a vampire.

"What did I miss?" Stefan asks as he leans back against the wall. Elena's eyes are on Cassandra and Damon. "Elena?" She looks at Stefan who gives her a look. "What happened?"

"He called her his girlfriend" Elena points out, Stefan raises an eyebrow at her.

"And?" He asks her.

"Is it not weird? Them being together?" Elena counters.

"Why?" He counters. Elena shrugs a little and looks away. "Why is this so weird for you? If I can get over the fact that my brother is dating your sister, then why can't you?"

"I don't know" Elena admits and looks at him. "There's just something about them being together that bothers me"

"Look, whatever way you want to view it. It's up to them" Stefan argues. Elena scowls a little. "Cassandra's repeatedly told you that she is fine with whatever happens....so let it happen and she will be fine" Stefan whispers to her. "She will be fine..." He repeats. "She's a big girl who is very capable of looking after herself" Stefan shrugs a little. He did start off worried about Cassandra getting involved with Damon, but he knows his brother. He knows his brother very well. He's only ever looked at one other person the way that he looks at Cassandra. Katherine. And he knows that was all fake. So he knows now just how Damon feels for the psychic. He also knows what that means for his brother. The lengths he'll go to protect her and keep her safe. Elena is worrying over nothing. Elena looks across at where Damon and Cassandra are sat together. Damon's fingers soft around Cassandra's wrist as he talks to her. Elena has absolutely no idea why the two of them being in a relationship affects her as much as it does.

.......

Cassandra rummages in the fridge back at the Boarding House, she's thirsty and she swears she left stuff. But surprisingly the vampire fridge, has got actual food stocked in it. Why do they need all this food anyway? It then hits her that this food is likely here for her...and Elena. And she is very touched by the thought of one of the brothers, likely Stefan, going out of his way to make sure there is food here for them. Damon lets out a breath as he walks into the kitchen, his eyes drifting to Cassandra straight away.

"How's the Sheriff?" She asks and then cheers a little when she finds a can of soda tucked away at the back.

"Tucked in for the night" He teases as he leans on the counter to watch her. "What are you doing in my fridge?"

"I left a few cans of soda in here" She pulls back from the fridge with her soda and closes the door behind her. "So what happens now?" He lets out a breath.

"Now we wait for the vervain to pass out of her system, then I will go in and compel away this whole mess"

"I could do it now" She offers and holds up her hand, wiggling her fingers. He shakes his head.

"Maybe tomorrow" He counters, she raises an eyebrow at him. "It's been a long day, you were shot"

"And I'm fine" She assures him.

"Tomorrow" He repeats and gives her a look. She hums a little and caves. They've all been through enough today, she doesn't want to argue about anything. She just wants to go to bed and sleep it all off. She can wait till tomorrow.

"Okay" He raises an eyebrow, surprised that she caved. "I'm too tired" She adds. "Just want to go to bed" he motions for her to come closer to him, she sets her soda down and then smirks suddenly. He tilts his head. "Sooo" She draws out and he smirks a little as she sidles up to him with this huge grin on her face. It's endearing really. "I'm your girlfriend" He wraps an arm around her waist and tugs her closer to him. He looks down at her softly.

"Yeah" He whispers. "You are" He agrees, drawing his hand over her cheek. He kisses her. And this time. There is definitely something else in it. Something deeper. Now that that word is out there. Girlfriend. It's like it's something more. Something has shifted. Clicked into place. This is it. That distinction was sitting between them, like a wedge, and neither of them realised. They are in a real proper relationship now. He pulls back and then kisses her nose.

"Why don't we set up a laptop in bed?" He asks. "Watch one of those ancient sitcoms that you like, order Chinese food....I'll even stretch to a pair of novelty PJs, If you ask nicely" He teases, she hums a little and tilts her head.

"You have novelty PJs?" She asks him, he nods and pokes her nose.

"That's not nicely" He counters with a faux pout.

"I do not believe that you have any" She points out. "I'm not going to ask for something I am never going to get" He raises an eyebrow at her and then smirks.

........

Damon leans seductively in the doorway to his bathroom watching Cassandra as she digs through her bag, pulling out her laptop. She turns around and almost drops the laptop in her hands. He wiggles his eyebrows at her and she bursts into laughter. It's fine. It was the reaction he was expecting. He was expecting nothing less.

"What are those?" She asks him. He hums in question and then looks down at what he is wearing. He was not lying. He has a pair of novelty PJs, but they're not technically his. They belonged to Zach, but they are fair game now. It's funny because he looks ridiculous wearing PJs with little sausage dogs all over them. And not like a cute t-shirt and trousers PJ set, but the whole button-up shirt and bottoms PJs. He leans up.

"What do you think?" He asks as he turns slightly and then back again.

"Damon" She offers as she fights a deep belly laugh, which will bring about a very unattractive snort.

"I could have been a model, you know?" He teases, she bites her lip as she watches him strut a little towards her. He winks and then sort of throws himself sideways onto the bed, propping his head up. She lets out a soft sigh but is smiling. When he wants to be, he can be adorable.

........

Damon nuzzles into Cassandra back and smiles. The two of them lying in bed together. Post-sex. Warm. Tingly. Content and satisfied. This is entirely new to him. In an actual relationship. Boyfriend girlfriend relationship. And it not be based on manipulations and games. It's all real. His phone pings away with a new message on the bedside table and he raises an eyebrow, glances at it before reaching over. He picks up the phone and squints at the screen. A new message from Ally.

"About time" He mumbles as he flops back onto his side of the bed. Opening the message he frowns. It's not exactly what he imagined getting from Ally but it'll do in a pinch. It's confirmation that she's alive, at least. And she's been very busy. "Damn it"

"Whoa" Cassandra stops him. "What's that language for?" She turns over to look at him. He turns his phone to face her and she sits up. "Son of a bitch" She takes the phone to get a better look at the photo.

"So Ally's now stalking her sister" He offers. "And Katherine is banging Mason"

"Well, this is a photo of them kissing, they might not be having sex" She offers, he gives her a look. "Yeah, they're having sex" She corrects herself.

"They're working together" He points out.

"So then why did Mason try to get you and Stefan killed?" She asks. "Doesn't she want you alive, so she can play with you?" He hums in agreement and then takes the phone from her.

"You know what" He starts, she shakes her head at him.

"No, what?" She counters, he brushes her hair back from her face.

"We're not going to worry about this tonight" He answers, she hums a little in question. "We're celebrating, remember?"

"Oh?" She asks him with a small chuckle.

"Urm, yes" He pokes her nose. "My descent into monogamy. It's a big deal. So between now and...oohhhh 10 am, this" He shakes the phone. "Doesn't exist" He sets it down on the side and turns his attention back to her. "Just you and me...." He nudges her nose with his and she closes her eyes before he kisses her.