Chapter Thirty

Cassandra sets her car keys into her pocket as she enters the Gilbert house, Elena coming down the stairs pauses and raises an eyebrow at her in question seeing the distracted look on her face. Cassandra gives a small automatic smile and closes the door behind her.

"How'd it go?" Elena asks her, Cassandra shrugs a little and moves closer to her.

"Well, Mason is dead" She answers. "But thanks to you guys we have the moonstone" Cassandra looks away and lets out a sigh. Even being home, that feeling hasn't gone away.

"You okay?" Elena counters, Cassandra hums and shrugs.

"I just have a weird feeling" She whispers to her.

"A feeling or a feeling?" Elena asks, Cassandra gives her a look and Elena knows which one she means. "Oh." Elena touches Cassandra's arm. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not as bad as it feels" Cassandra lets out a little laugh. The two sisters share a look before they head towards the kitchen. Alaric is setting the table for dinner when the two girls enter the kitchen.

"Hey" Alaric greets.

"Sorry I'm late" Cassandra tells Alaric who waves her off.

"You're just in time for dinner" Alaric assures her. "You okay?" He asks her, noticing her look.

"Yeah, just..." She frowns a little. "I don't know" She admits and shrugs. She really can't explain it. It's not telepathic, she doesn't feel it in her head. It's just something else. Something she can't explain. "Where is Jeremy?" She asks.

"Oh, he went straight up to his room. He said he wasn't hungry" Alaric answers as Elena helps lay out the plates and looks over at Jenna. Jenna is on the phone with someone.

"Who is she talking to?" Elena asks.

"I don't know. Everything go okay today?" Alaric asks them.

"There were a few hiccups, but yeah" Cassandra answers. "I think" She whispers more to herself. Everything did go as planned, so why does she feel like they've somehow lost?

"Of course, I understand. Elena, it's for you." Jenna hands Elena the phone.

"Who is it?" Elena asks. Jenna shrugs but doesn't say anything. Elena takes the phone and places it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Hello, Elena" Elena looks at Cassandra, who looks questioningly at her. Elena walks out of the room, Cassandra following her.

"Katherine" Elena greets, whilst also informing Cassandra who it is. Cassandra cocks her head, her eyes glowing red as she listens in through Elena's mind.

"Did you enjoy your little rendezvous with Stefan this morning? I will always know, Elena. I will always be one step ahead of you. When are you gonna figure that out? Do you know how easy it was to get inside of your house? To replace Aunt Jenna's vervain perfume, to convince her to stop drinking her special tea?" Elena looks over at Jenna. Alaric wants to know what's going on, but Elena puts her hand up, gesturing to him to hold on.

"No"

"Jenna's been my little spy for days now. But unlike you, Jenna actually listens to me. So when I suggested that the world would be a much better place if she were to just...." Jenna holds a knife into the air. She points it at her stomach. Elena drops the phone.

"Jenna, no!" Cassandra throws out her hand, her powers wrapping around the knife and Jenna's hand stopping her.

"You got her?" Elena asks, Cassandra nods.

"Yeah, I got her" She assures her and then uses her powers to throw the knife away from Jenna, and wiggles her fingers to send a blast into Jenna's mind, knocking her out. Alaric and Elena move towards her to help her. Cassandra cocks her head and then picks up the phone from the floor. "Still there?" She asks down the line.