Chapter Thirty-Three

Cas' Outfit:

Damon adjusts his cufflinks as he waits for Cassandra to join him

Damon adjusts his cufflinks as he waits for Cassandra to join him. Everyone else has already left for the ball but Cassandra is taking her sweet time. He lets out a breath and glances around, clapping his hands together. It took him minutes to put on a suit, how much longer must it take her?

"Cas!" He shouts, then turns towards the stairs to find her already making her way down to meet him. His eyes widen. "Wow" He comments as she joins him at the bottom of the stairs. She looks great. It's actually a slightly more mature look for her. A new skirt she wanted to give a whirl. She looks amazing. She moves to a little side table, her skirt swishing with her. He likes the tartan skirt she has, he loves that, but this skirt is something else. All legs. And she does have some great legs. She picks up her mask and turns to him.

"Damon" She states and he lifts his eyes from her legs to find her smirking at him.

"What is it with you and skirts?" He asks, drawing her shawl through his fingers. "Why is that such a thing?" He then hums. "Why does it do things to me?"

"I have great legs" She argues.

"Yeah, you do have great legs" He agrees with a smirk. "They're distracting legs..." His eyes shift south again to her legs. "Sweet sassy molassy, look at those legs" She pushes at his shoulder with a laugh.

"Okay," She scolds weakly with a smile. He smirks wider and steps closer to her so he can pull her wrap around her shoulders. Her eyes soften as she watches his face. He winks at her.

"You look great," He tells her softer. "Beautiful"

"Well just because this is a plot for murder doesn't mean we can't look good doing it" She offers.

"I feel like that might just be the motto for the rest of our lives" He teases and pokes her nose. The two of them share a look. It did not go unnoticed to her what he said, what he implied. But for now, she'll ignore it, because he looks about ready to panic that it slipped out the way it did. She leans closer and kisses his cheek.

"Come on," She tells him softly as she takes his hand. He gives her a grateful look. She doesn't push on things. Doesn't push for answers on a future. It's just them, as they are, right now. Even if both of them know that this is something special. Something important. They both know that neither is ready to talk about it. He raises their joint hands to his lips and kisses her knuckles.

.............

At the Ball, Damon and Stefan are stood together outside, both looking around for Katherine though Damon's eyes keep drifting back to Cassandra. Stefan lets out a breath and shakes his head. There is no sign of Katherine here at all. But he is sure she is here.

"Do you see her?" Damon asks.

"Nope" Stefan answers. "You're sure you can do this?"

"Who are you talking to?" Damon scolds him.

"Oh, I had the chance to kill her and I hesitated" Stefan points out.

"Well, that is the fork in the road between you and me my friend. I don't hesitate" Damon argues, his eyes drifting to Cassandra as she waits on him. "I won't hesitate." He adds firmer, turning to give Stefan a look.

"Okay" Stefan offers with a nod.

.........

Cassandra's eyes flicker around the guests at the ball. Her hands shaking at her head. She lets out a shaky breath. She didn't factor in the number of people that were going to be here. It feels like that first day back at school. Feeling all these people pressing against her mind. Whispers. Pushing. All trying to force their way into her head. Her jaw quivers. And then as suddenly as it comes. It clears. Completely. Silence. She lets out a breath and frowns, unsure of why it just all went away. She looks down to find Damon is now holding her hand. Brushing his thumb over the back of it to comfort her.

"You okay?" He whispers. Her eyes search his before she nods. He cleared her mind with a touch. Maybe this is what Ally was talking about. The way that their partners are supposed to make them stronger.

"Yeah" She answers warmly. "I am now" He squeezes her hand and then leans closer.

"Can you feel her?" He whispers, she shakes her head.

"No, but I can't read her mind" She reminds him. "I'm searching everyone else's, if she's smart she'll lay low until she's ready to strike" He nods in agreement.

"Are you okay with what you have to do?"

"You know I am, just wish you guys would let me do more..." She complains a little. He nods. He knows.

"You are the only one who can be the lookout" He reminds her and touches her forehead. "You are the only one who will know when she makes her move" He touches her arm. "You are the only one who can do this, and we're counting on you" He adds softer. She nods. It makes her feel better about being the 'lookout'.

...............

Cassandra glances around the party at Damon's side, he does the same. Both of them on edge. All of them on edge. She can feel them all. Their worry. Their nerves. Damon touches her back and she lets out a breath, managing to calm herself down. She tilts her head and turns slightly, her eyes narrowing through the crowd and then flickering up to the stairs where she sees Katherine making her way downstairs. Cassandra nudges Damon who turns and follows her eyes before he is pulling out his cell phone to text Stefan.

..........

Cassandra grabs a drink from a waiter and then moves through the crowd, her eyes scanning around. It's a little more difficult now, without Damon at her side, those issues with her telepathy are creeping back in. Katherine has already made her first kill of the night and now the brothers have to deal with that. Which leaves Cassandra on her own. Which is fine. Totally fine. She reaches up and touches her head. The longer she is here the worse it is getting. She takes a deep breath and then lets it out. She looks down at her phone in her hand when she receives a text message from Damon that reads 'Now'. This is what she is waiting for. Her secondary role. Provocation. She smirks and sets her drink down. This will take her mind off of all the voices. She strides through the crowd.