Chapter One Hundred

Cassandra has her eyes closed, sat crossed legged as she takes deep breaths. She's trying to rise above it. Trying to pull on something. Some level of energy within her. Just for something. Just a little. Just enough to do some damage. Even if it doesn't save her, she can give Klaus a great big whopping punch to send her off. Elena paces in her circle and Jenna is kneeling in hers. Each of them has their own way of dealing.

"How are you feeling?" Elena asks Cassandra who shrugs.

"You know, impending death so...pretty great" She looks across at her sister. "How's Jenna?" Elena shrugs back at her.

"She seems okay"

"Your version of okay or freaking out okay?" Cassandra counters.

"Freaking out okay" Elena answers. Cassandra snorts a little and lets out a breath. Elena turns her attention to Jenna who is now starting to really freak out.

"I'm gonna die, aren't I?" Jenna asks.

"No! Jenna, I'm not going to let that happen. I don't care what I have to do"

"What are you doing to do, Elena?" Cassandra asks her. "I don't think batting your eyelashes at him will work"

"Can we not do that now?" Elena scolds slightly. "We're about to die...."

"You won't" Cassandra points out.

"We don't know that" Elena argues.

"Yeah, well, that'll be just my luck" She whispers to herself and presses her fingers into her hair letting out a breath. In the distance, the sounds of twigs snapping and Jules groaning are heard by Elena and Jenna. Jenna's head snaps towards the sound.

"Who's that?" Jenna asks.

"That must be the werewolf" Elena answers. Greta pushes Jules down to the ground. Jules clutches at her stomach, groaning in pain.

"What's happening to me?" Jules asks.

"I cast a spell to slow down your transformation. Your insides are trying to tear themselves free" Greta moves away, flicks her wrist, and a fourth ring of fire encircles Jules.

"Greta, witches are supposed to maintain the balance in nature. It's your duty to them to keep this curse sealed" Elena tries, again, but it's not going to work.

"My duty is to Klaus! The new order" Greta argues. Klaus then arrives.

"Glad to know I still have a dance partner" He comments and then looks at Cassandra, Elena, Jenna, and Jules. "Hello, my lovelies. Are we ready?" Cassandra glares at him, clenching her jaw. Klaus moves to join Greta on the small ledge altar. He retrieves the moonstone from his pocket. "I've got the moonstone. I spent 500 years looking for this. I hate to part with it" Klaus hands the moonstone to Greta who takes it and looks up at the sky.

"The moon has passed its apex. Remember everything you need to do?" Greta asks him.

"I remember" He assures her. Greta drops the moonstone into a stone bowl filled with flames. Sparks fly as the moonstone is destroyed. Greta begins chanting a spell in Latin. Klaus approaches the rings of fire. Jules still lies on the ground, moaning in pain, but looks up at Cassandra.

"Everything I did...I was just trying to help Tyler" Jules tells her.

"Are you Jules?" Elena asks.

"I didn't want him to be alone!" Klaus looks down at Jules.

"Shall we?" The ring of fire around Jules disperses. Jules's eyes turn yellow and she uses her werewolf speed to rush at Klaus. Alas, Klaus gets the upper hand and pins Jules to the ground, plunging his hand into her chest and ripping out her heart. Jules takes a final breath, tears streaming down her face, and dies. Klaus breathes heavily as he holds the bloody heart in his hands. Elena and Jenna look on. Cassandra is horrified. That is her fate. That is what's going to happen to her. The only comfort she gets, is that it will be quick. It will be quick and it will be over. She will be dead. Greta begins chants a spell while Klaus holds Jules's heart over the ceremonial bowl, squeezing the blood into the flames. "Does that mean it's working?" Klaus asks Greta.

"It's working" Over in the rings of fire, Cassandra watches Klaus and Greta in the distance. Jenna looks at Elena, eyes glistening with tears.

"The day that the lawyers called to tell me that I was going to become your guardian, you know what my first thought was?" Elena looks down at her and shakes her head. "Isn't there someone else who can do this?" Cassandra glances over.

"Jenna, there was no one else who could have gotten us through all of that" Elena tries to reassure her.

"It's just the thought that I almost passed up taking care of you"

"But you didn't" Elena argues as she kneels down. "You put your entire life on hold to help us"

"Look around, Elena. I failed you, I failed both of you"

"No. You didn't. I failed you. I'm so sorry. Listen. Being a vampire, it intensifies your guilt. But it also makes you stronger and faster. You can fight back. I'm gonna get through this. I'll be okay. I need you to believe that. Promise me, when you get the chance..." Elena places a finger to her lips and whispers the next word. "Run" Jenna nods.

"Okay" Jenna agrees sadly. Cassandra closes her eyes, tears streaming down her face. Klaus then approaches the ring of fire containing Jenna.

"Hello, Jenna" He greets. Cassandra, Jenna and Elena push themselves up to their feet.

"Let her go. I understand that Cas and I have to die, but she doesn't!" Elena begs of Klaus. Elena walks closer to the flames, causing them to flare up. She retreats.

"Careful."

"Elena, don't" Jenna stops her.

"No, Jenna! We can't leave Jeremy without a family" Elena counters. Cassandra gives Elena a look. None of this would be happening if they just stuck to the plan. Bonnie was the answer. Bonnie would have saved them all. Elena looks at Klaus. "I followed your rules; I did everything that you asked. I didn't run. Please"

"Well, well" Klaus then looks up at the top of the quarry. "I don't recall you being on the guest list" Cassandra, Elena, and Jenna all turn and look up as well. Elena gasps seeing Stefan standing atop of the cliff looking down upon them.

.......

In the basement of the Old Witch House, John, Bonnie, and Jeremy speak with Damon who is not hiding his nerves and his fears very well.

"We found something in the Gilbert journals" Bonnie offers him. Damon raises an eyebrow.

"Johnathan journaled the story of a mother who called on Emily's services" Jeremy adds. "The woman's baby was sick; dying. Emily cast a spell that would bind the woman's life force with her child"

"Skip to the save Cas part" Jeremy and Bonnie share a look. Damon lets out a breath and closes his eyes. "It's not for Cas..." He realises. Of course, it's not. Why would it be? That would make his life easier. Her life easier.

"It doesn't....restore body parts" Bonnie offers. "There's nothing in any of these books that have anything that can do that, Damon." He lets out a breath and clenches his jaw. None of them loves her enough to help her. None of them. "Damon" Bonnie repeats and gives him a look.

"Whatever" He growls slightly, clutching his arm. "Do whatever you want to save Elena, I don't care either way" He adds and then walks back up the stairs. No one is going to help her. He pushes through the upper door and storms into one of the empty rooms. He throws out his fist, punching right through the wall.