Chapter Forty-Four

Ally sits in an armchair in the Boarding house, there is a journal open in her lap, her own journal, her fingers tracing the information inside

Ally sits in an armchair in the Boarding house, there is a journal open in her lap, her own journal, her fingers tracing the information inside. It's something she's taken to recently. After leaving the tomb. She started to write down things to help her remember. To keep her up to date with everything new in the world. It's all confusing. But today, she's gone back over something that she wrote about her family. She closes the book and stares out the window.

"Ally?" Damon asks, she jerks out of her thoughts and looks at him as he walks towards her. "You okay?" She hums and nods, plastering on a fake smile. It's not very often that she lets herself think about her family. "Sure?" He counters as he sits on the couch.

"Yes," She answers. "I just..." She touches the top of the book and shrugs. "Been a while since I've thought about my family" Damon hums a little and then turns his head towards the doorway as Stefan, Cassandra, and Elena walk into the room. Cassandra lighting up a little seeing Ally here. Ally sets the book down and stands to greet her. Cassandra and Ally hug one another tightly.

"I'm so glad you're back," Cassandra tells her warmly when she pulls away.

"Heard you guys took on Elijah, bold move" Ally teases as she drops into the armchair behind her, crossing one leg over the other.

"How do you know him?" Cassandra inquires as she sits at Damon's side, his hand finding her knee.

"I met Elijah in 1702 when I was visiting Cadiz" Ally offers and then notices a couple of blank faces. "It's in Spain" She offers. "Kol and I were travelling together and researching witches and magic, he had a deep interest in the art leftover from when he was human" She waves it off. "That's where I met Elijah...and Klaus"

"Why would they have been together?" Elena asks, Ally cocks her head.

"They're brothers" Ally points out. "Elijah, Klaus....and Kol"

"Whoa, wait" Damon states. "Elijah is your in-law?!"

"Kol and I never officially tied the knot" Ally argues.

"How did you met?" Cassandra asks her, Ally raises an eyebrow. "Kol" Cassandra elaborates.

"Katerina was banished from home for a nasty transgression" Ally answers. "I followed her. Despite our relationship now, as humans, we were very close, she was...best friend. I didn't find her, I found Kol instead. He was spending time with some pagan witches at the time...He was...instantly

smitten" She teases a little. "As was I...He offered to help me find my sister.....we became inseparable after that, until...." She stops and stares off again. Her eyes saddening. "Well...until we weren't" She adds quieter. "Klaus is dangerous" Ally warns them. "When Katerina betrayed him, he returned to our homeland and slaughtered our entire family," She tells them. "All of them....even the children" Elena looks down.

"Okay, so you're saying that the oldest vampire in the history of time is coming after us?" Elena asks Ally who nods.

"Yes," Ally answers. "But as long as Elijah was the only one who knew of your existence, then you are safe, but I would lean more towards doomed" she offers, motioning with her hand. "Klaus is...talented at getting what he wants and he doesn't care who he has to kill to get it" Stefan shares a look with Damon before he shakes his head.

"Look, Elijah's dead, right? So no one else even knows that you exist" Stefan tells the twins as Damon brushes his thumb over Cassandra's knee.

"Not that you know of" Ally comments, Damon gives her a look.

"That's not helping" Damon scolds her.

"If you're not afraid of Klaus, then you're idiots" Ally scolds them, turning her daylight ring around her finger. They can all see that this has her shaken. That she is here to warn them, to help them, to protect them. But they have to listen to her. Elena and Stefan share a look just as Cassandra and Damon do. Ally taps her hands on the arms of the chair. "Oh," She then taps her head as if suddenly remembering. "About Elijah...you guys know that he can't die, right?" She asks them. They all turn to look at her.

"What?" Damon asks her. She hums and nods.

"Yeah, it's something about the Originals....they can't die" She stands and shrugs. "So...I mean, kudos on being dumb enough to fight him, but...yeah....he's not dead" Damon gives her a look.

"You didn't think to tell us this earlier?" He asks her.

"I forgot" She answers over her shoulder as she leaves. Damon turns a look on Stefan who shrugs back at him. Damon squeezes Cassandra's knee and gives her a small look, she nods a little. She's okay. Or as okay as she can be given the situation. Elena then stands.

"Where are you going?" Stefan asks her.

"School. We're late" Elena answers and gives Cassandra a look, Cassandra pats Damon's hand on her knee before she stands too. 

"Let me grab my stuff, I'll go with you," Stefan tells them. Elena shakes her head.

"It's okay, we know where it is" Elena scolds him and then leaves, Cassandra pulls a face and looks at Damon who nods back at her. The two of them sharing a look before she follows Elena out of the house.

.........

Elena and Cassandra are making their way through the woods. Elena is carrying a bag. Cassandra has her phone in her hand and on speaker to Caroline who is to be their cover for this. Elena wanted them to lie to Stefan about what they are doing. Cassandra has already told Damon, because they don't keep secrets from one another. Damon said he didn't like what they are planning, but hasn't tried to stop her.

"Tell everyone I wasn't feeling well and Elena took me home from school," Cassandra tells Caroline.

"I can't believe I'm agreeing to this. I'm a terrible liar" Caroline counters.

"And keep Stefan busy" Elena adds. "I don't want him to know what we're up to"

"I'm even worse at duplicity and you know this" Caroline argues.

"You managed to keep me occupied when Katherine paid Stefan a visit" Elena reminds her.

"Yeah, because she threatened me. Not that I'm saying that you should use that as a tactic, it's...Stefan's gonna see right through me." Caroline points out. 

"Caroline, as our friend, do you promise or not?" Elena asks her, Caroline groans down the phone.

"You had to break out the girlfriend code" Caroline scolds a little. "Okay. I promise."

"Okay"

"Why don't you want Stefan to know?" Caroline asks, Elena looks at the phone in Cassandra's hand.

"Because he would never be okay with us doing this" Elena answers and then hangs up on Caroline. Cassandra shoots her a look as they go under the church ruins and then stop in front of the tomb's door. Cassandra takes a deep breath.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Cassandra asks Elena who nods.

"Yes, I'm sure" Elena answers. "You heard Ally, she betrayed Klaus, she might be the only one who knows the truth about him. The only one who can tell us how to stop him"

"But you're asking for the truth from someone who's probably never giving it" Cassandra points out. "We should just ask Ally"

"That's Damon plan" Elena points out. Cassandra rolls her eyes at the distrust in Elena's tone. Damon saved their lives, she could at least give him the benefit of the doubt. "I can't just sit back and wait. I have to know, Cas. Please" Cassandra nods a little and then sighs. She holds up her hands, manifesting her powers, wrapping the tomb door in them before pulling it open. Elena sets the bag down and then moves closer to the tomb. "Katherine?" Elena asks. They hear a noise. Elena turns her head and looks at the door entrance. Katherine arrives and stops at the entrance.

"Hello, Elena" Katherine greets and then notices Cassandra. "Cassie. You come to watch me wither away?"