Chapter Eighteen

Damon sets his hand on Cassandra's arm to stop her a moment before they head back downstairs. She frowns at him as she turns to face him. He glances over her shoulder, listening to the others downstairs, trying to work out if they're going to hear him or not. Just in case, he leans closer to her.

"You think you could take a peek into Mason's head?" Damon asks, she tilts her head and raises an eyebrow.

"I've been trying all night" She whispers. "Maybe it's because he's a werewolf, but" She half shrugs a little. "I can't get in" He lets out a breath and then pokes her nose.

"What about Tyler?" He asks, she shrugs again.

"Never tried" She admits. "Thought it was rude" He smirks a little.

"Then we go about this the old fashioned way" He assures her. "Pound on him until he talks" He mocks with his fist in his palm and she chuckles a little but then she sobers.

"Damon" She starts, he hums. "You're going to be careful, right?" He cocks his head and touches her arm. "Cause that book said that a werewolf bite..."

"I know" He stops her. "But it's just some stupid legend...."

"And if it's not?" She argues. "You die..." He smirks at her.

"Worried about me?" He teases, she hums and shakes her head. He touches her waist and then presses her against the wall as he kisses her. He's not about to admit that he likes that she's worried about him. It means she cares. And after everything that happened with Katherine, he likes knowing that Cassandra actually really feels something towards him. Just adds to the whole...'this one isn't fake' thing. This one. Cassandra. Is all him. He chooses this relationship. He chooses to be with her. No one is forcing him to do it. No one is manipulating his feelings. This is...him and her. No tricks. No games. Just...them. He pulls back and strokes her cheek.

..........

Mason is pulling on his jacket as Cassandra grabs a few of the empty glasses from the living room coffee table, she is going to kill Elena for leaving her on clean up by herself.

"No more takers for drinks at the Grill?" Mason asks. "It's like I'm with a bunch of adults here!" He teases.

"I prefer the term 'role model'" Jenna argues.

"Okay. Well, thanks for having me, it was awesome." Mason tells Jenna who gives him a smile. "Alaric, catch that game next week?" He asks.

"Yeah, I look forward to it" Alaric answers.

"You know, I should probably head out too" Damon admits as he pulls on his jacket, behind him Mason leaves. "Jenna, you are a wonderful hostess," Damon tells Jenna as he kisses her hand.

"And you are a terrible artist" Jenna points out.

"Is that the only thing that makes me terrible?" Damon asks.

"I'm still deciding." Jenna answers.

"Good enough for me. Alaric, let's not catch that game next week" Damon adds and then waves his fingers at Cassandra who waves back. "Text you later" He offers, she hums and nods. Damon then leaves. Jenna turns to Cassandra.

"No kiss goodbye?" Jenna teases, Cassandra shrugs.

"You know I don't like stuff like that" Cassandra reminds her as she picks up an empty bowl. "I don't get why people feel the need to touch each other in public..." She pulls a face and shakes her head.

"Oh, this is to do with Grayson" Jenna realises with a smirk. "I get itnow." Cassandra frowns at her.

"What are you talking about?" Cassandra asks her.

"He used to tell you both that if you let boys touch you before you were married then angels would kill you" Jenna admits, Alaric chokes on his drink and coughs. Cassandra and Jenna both look at him.

"I'm fine" He assures them. Cassandra raises an eyebrow and turns back to Jenna.

"I don't remember Dad telling me that" Cassandra argues, Jenna nods.

"Miranda was livid when she caught him" Jenna adds. "But maybe it stuck...deep in there somewhere...." Cassandra frowns a little, but maybe it makes sense, in like a subconscious way. She doesn't really remember Grayson telling her that, but he obviously did for Jenna to remember it, and maybe it did stick. It would make sense as to why she doesn't like being touched in public.

..........

Cassandra stands in the trees alone. It's dark and cold and yes, she is a little freaked out. She shivers and wraps her arms around herself. She should have brought a thicker jacket but she thought nothing of it, that she wouldn't be out here this long. There is a crunch behind her and she spins. Damon moves towards her and she lets out a breath. Relaxing.

"You okay there, Buttercup?" He asks.

"I'm freezing" She complains. "How'd it go with Mason?"

"Don't want to talk about it" Damon counters as he shrugs out of his jacket before pulling it around her shoulders. "Here" He whispers helping her on with it.

"Guessing the silver didn't work" She offers, he hums and pulls a face before zipping up the jacket. "Thanks" She whispers warmly, he nods and touches her arms before he leans closer and kisses her, brushing over her arms to keep her warm.

"There you two are" Elena comments as she and Stefan walk towards them. Damon pulls back from Cassandra who is now uncomfortable about being caught out, she worries her bottom lip and glances away.

"What are we doing out here?" Stefan counters, his eyes lingering on Cassandra, aware that she is wearing Damon's jacket.

"Cas?" Elena asks. Cassandra clears her throat and looks at her sister.

"I read Caroline's mind" Cassandra admits, Elena gives her a look. "She was being weird, I thought I should make sure she was okay..." Elena opens her mouth to say something but Cassandra beats her to it. "And she wouldn't've told me if I'd asked" She is quick to add. "She's working with Katherine" Cassandra informs her. Elena looks at Stefan who frowns at Cassandra.

"What is she trying to do?" Stefan asks her.

"To break you two up" Cassandra answers, motioning between Stefan and Elena.

"That's why Caroline was being so...aggressive about the whole mortality thing" Elena realises. "She was trying to get into my head...." Cassandra nods.

"But we have a plan" Damon assures them. Stefan raises an eyebrow at him.

.............

Cassandra and Elena linger away from Stefan and Damon who are talking about Katherine and their plan. Cassandra tucks her hands into the jacket pockets trying to keep them warm.

"So what was she like?" Cassandra asks, Elena glances at her and frowns. "Katherine" Elena shrugs a little.

"Hard to say" Elena mumbles. "She didn't really stick around to chat" She shrugs. "But I get the feeling that Ally is the better half of those twins" Cassandra hums in agreement. "You got lucky with her, Cassie" Elena whispers and lets out a breath. "This is going to work, right?" 

"Duh" Cassandra counters. "It's my plan, of course it's going to work..." They share a smirk and Elena nods.