Chapter Two

Damon leans back in the hospital seat with a magazine, it's some trashy celebrity thing but he doesn't want to leave Cassandra's side knowing that Katherine is out there and gunning for her. So he's going to stay right here. At her side. Elena sits on Cassandra's other side, tapping her fingers on the little railing thing on the bed. Cassandra gives her a look, because it is annoying, even though she knows Elena is just worried.

"How's Caroline?" Cassandra asks, Elena gives Damon a look. Elena wasn't going to say anything until they knew Cassandra's head was okay.

"Hey, shockingly, I tell her things" Damon points out and then goes back to the trashy magazine in his hands. Elena turns back to Cassandra.

"She's out of surgery," Elena tells her. "And Damon gave her some of his blood, so she'll be fine" Damon hums in agreement.

"When can I go home?" Cassandra asks. "I hate hospitals" She whispers. Elena nods. That's not at all surprising given that this isn't her first trip, and the last time she was here, her parents died.

"I know" Elena agrees. "Jenna's talking with the doctor" She adds. Damon and Elena share a look and Cassandra sighs.

"Okay, out with it," She tells them. "What else is going on?" Elena looks at Cassandra and lets out a breath.

"Don't freak out" Elena starts.

"That literally always has the opposite effect" Cassandra argues and gives her a look. "What is it?"

"Jeremy tried to turn himself into a vampire" Elena admits, Cassandra tilts her head in question. "He's fine, and human, Stefan's with him.....And someone stabbed John and chopped off his fingers" Elena then seems to think of something. "That wasn't you, was it?"

"What? No" Cassandra scolds her. Damon leans closer and touches her hand, she looks at him.

"No one would blame you" Damon assures her. "After what he did...."

"No" She argues. "It wasn't me..." She gives Damon a look and he then realises what she means. Katherine.

"Okay, now you two are sharing looks" Elena points out. "What am I missing?" Damon raises an eyebrow at Cassandra who shrugs back at him, it's up to him, Katherine is his history, his villain, his choice to tell Elena or not. He draws his fingers over Cassandra's arm and then nods.

"Look, Katherine is in town" He admits, Elena looks between them. "She attacked John....she attacked Cas..."

"Why?" Elena asks.

"That's a good question" Damon points out. The door to the room then opens and Jenna walks in. Damon, Cassandra and Elena falling silent. Cassandra sits up a little and Jenna gives her a soft worried smile.

"So?" Cassandra asks. "What did he say?"

"Doc said all your scans are clear and you can go home but we should keep an eye on you just in case...." Jenna offers as she folds her arms over her chest. "So I think we should set up the camp bed in Elena's room....." Cassandra opens her mouth but Jenna beats her to it. "You can put your television in there too" Jenna assures her. Cassandra smirks and shrugs. That was going to be non-negotiable. She's going to need her television to get through this.

........

Damon has his arm around Cassandra as they head towards the house, but it's too much PDA even if he is only trying to help her. She's still capable of walking. Head injury. Not leg injury. She lets out a breath and shrugs him off.

"I'm not an invalid," She tells Damon. "Hit my head, not my legs" He holds up his hands but still lingers closer to her as they head up the porch steps. Elena shakes her head, amused as she opens the door. Cassandra, Elena, and Damon enter the house. Stefan is on the floor but stands up immediately when he notices them. Cassandra frowns a little. Confused as to why Stefan would be chilling on the floor. That's not a normal person thing. She's pretty sure of that.