Chapter Seventy-Nine

At the Grill, Bonnie walks towards Jonas, weaving through the crowd whilst also seeking out Cassandra. Bonnie has no magic right now, but Cassandra has her powers and might be the only one that can stop him if need be. But she can't see her anywhere.

"Dr Martin. You okay?" She asks him.

"Where is she?" Jonas counters, Bonnie frowns, not understanding what is going on.

"I don't understand"

"My son is dead"

"Whatever it is you think you need to do, there's a better way"

"They killed Elijah and they killed Luka and my only shot at getting my daughter back is if I have the twins"

"No. No, Dr Martin" Bonnie argues. Jonas breaks the stage lights with his magic.

"Where is the psychic?" He snaps at Bonnie.

"I don't know. I haven't seen her." Bonnie lies to him. He breaks the rest of the lights in the Grill. Alaric joins Jenna and wraps an arm around her.

"I think it's time we get out of here," He tells her, she looks at him and then around for the twins.

"I have to find the girls"

"They're with Stefan, they're okay" Alaric leads her away, wanting to get her out of here before anything too dangerous happens but like all the other patrons, finds that the doors are locked. Bonnie is still talking with Jonas.

"No one's getting out of here until I have her" Jonas argues.

"Don't do this. Please don't do this" Bonnie begs of him. He breaks all the bottles with his powers and sets fire to the bar top. Bonnie tries to stop him but he puts his hand on her forehead and she falls on the floor, unconscious. Cassandra flinches from beneath the bar where she's hiding. She's hiding, like a coward. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath pulls her hands in front of her and concentrates, a red ball of mist forms between her hands and she floods it with as much energy as she can. Her nose starts to bleed with the level of power she's tapping into here. She stands from behind the bar and throws it out towards Jonas, throwing him back away from Bonnie. Cassandra then holds out her hands and uses her powers to float over the burning bar. Landing on her feet before she is rushing towards Bonnie.

"Bonnie!" Cassandra kneels next to her, checking on her. "Bonnie!" Bonnie groans as she wakes up. Cassandra helps her up to her feet.

"Cas, look out" Bonnie warns, Cassandra turns and throws out her hand, Jonas falls to his knees, a red mist wrapping tightly around him. Elena and Stefan rush towards them with Matt and Caroline.

"Dr Martin!" Elena tries. "I'm so sorry about Luka. I never wanted that to happen, but...at least let us help you get your daughter back"

"Only Elijah can do that" Jonas argues through clenched teeth.

"You don't need Elijah" Elena pleads.

"He's not going to change his mind" Cassandra offers, her eyes glowing red. "He's not going to stop" she stumbles back when he breaks free of her powers. He holds out his hand, ready to attack Cassandra but Caroline jumps on him as Damon arrives and pulls Cassandra back a little. Caroline tries to bite Jonas but he provokes a headache with his powers. Caroline screams.

"Caroline!" Matt shouts. Cassandra throws out her hand and wraps Jonas up again, tighter this time, the cracking of bones echoing around them, Jonas scream in pain as one by one, his bones break, until he goes limp, stops fighting her powers. She releases him and he collapses to the floor.

"You didn't have to kill him!" Bonnie scolds Cassandra.

"Yes, she did" Damon argues. Bonnie gets closer to him and goes to close his eyes but suddenly he gets up and grabs her face. Images flickering past her eyes. Red. So much red. And Cassandra, only she looks different. She looks older. Wiser. Red hair. With a sort of crown thing on her head. Scarlet Witch. She hears before she falls backwards from him, unconscious.

"Bonnie!" Elena and Cassandra hurry towards her. Bonnie groans as she starts to come around. Bonnie grabs Cassandra's arm and sits up. The two of them sharing a look.

"Are you okay?" Cassandra asks her, Bonnie nods a little but can't take her eyes off of her friend. Something in that vision was a warning. But it was something more. A promise. Elena and Cassandra help Bonnie up to her feet as Matt helps Cassandra.

"We have to get the fire out," Alaric tells them. Cassandra concentrates on her hands and then manifests another ball of energy, she throws it out and uses her mist to smother the fire. As she does, the broken bottles behind the bar mend and return to their rightful places. Bonnie watches this and then looks at Cassandra with a small frown. She has no idea what she's doing.

.......

Cassandra enters the Gilbert house, her phone pressed to her ear, Damon had wanted to listen to her arriving home just in case some other crazed witch tries to kill her tonight. He'd wanted to come home with her but someone needs to keep an eye on Katherine at the boarding house.

"Rendered me useless, Buttercup" Damon teases a little.

"Well, when you're girlfriend has superpowers" She points out as she drops onto the couch, kicking off her boots. She lets out a tired sigh and rubs her head.

"You doing okay?"

"Yeah, I just might have gone a little over the top on the amount of energy I used" She leans back and covers her eyes with her arm. "I'll be fine with some sleep...."

"Are you sure you don't want to come over?"

"Want to? Yes. But...I'm going to stay here, make sure Jenna's okay with everything"

"How'd she take it?" He asks her, she blows a raspberry and shrugs.

"Fine to be honest, much less of a freak-out, the wine helped"

"No doubt" He agrees softly. She could really do with a drink herself right about now. She lowers her arm and sits up. There is a drink on the coffee table waiting for her. A sliver of red mist wrapped around it but disappearing. She cocks her head and then shrugs, picking up the drink and taking a sip. It's not bad. She has no idea where it came from, but right now, she's not about to start questioning free drinks. "Call me in the morning, huh, X-Girl?"

"Sure" She answers and then hangs up with a small hum.

........

At the boarding house, Damon is resting on his bed, an open Gilbert journal in his lap as he sets his cell phone on the bedside table. He smiles a little and then shakes his head. Today started well. Waking up in bed with Cassandra, and then, one thing after another went to shit. Katherine bounces onto the bed, her hair curled and springy, and she's wearing lingerie. Trying to be seductive. Damon doesn't even look at her as he picks up the journal again.

"You know what I can't figure out?" He comments.

"What's that?"

"How the town knew Emily Bennett was a witch. I mean, because according to Johnathan Gilbert, he was the only one who knew. I know he didn't turn her in" She doesn't answer. He looks at her. She shrugs. "Mmm, I should have figured as much"

"She was a loose end. I like mine tied up. You know what I can't figure out?" She counters.

"Do I care?"

"Why you won't tell me where to find the site of the witch massacre"

"Because I have no clue" He informs her.

"You knew that Emily Bennett was the key to getting me out of that tomb and something tells me that you did everything in your power to make sure that she was safe, yet you have no idea where she was killed. Who's the liar now?" Damon flicks her a glance. "You hurt me today"

"Tit for tat"

"You were mean and very rough and monstrous" She coos.

"You deserved it" He argues. She leans closer to him.

"I like this, Damon" She admits, leaning in.

"Katherine" He whispers softly. "Katherine, there are six other bedrooms in this house" He whispers, lifting a hand to her face. They're about to kiss. "Go find one" He pushes her off and goes back to the journal. She's upset, she looks at him and leaves. Damon smirks to himself.