Chapter Ninty-Six

Cassandra sits on the edge of Damon's bed, she is processing that she is going to die and there is no coming back from it. This is what her life has been leading up to. Her death. Those storm clouds in her dreamscape, it has to be this. It has to mean this. Damon sits next to her and lets out a breath. She doesn't know what to say here to make him feel better about it. She supposes there is no way to make it better. For either of them. He rubs his hands on his knees and looks at her.

"I could give you some blood" He offers.

"I don't want to be a vampire" She whispers, he nods. He knows this. 

"I know" He agrees and reaches over, threading his fingers with hers on her knee. She leans against him, curling her other hand around his bicep. They both know that her death is going to break him. He knows how he was when he lost Ally. This is losing something far more important to him. He lets out a shaky breath and then kisses her head. "So...Bucket list" He starts as he stands and brushes his hand over his face, attempting to hide the fact he may have cried a little. "Anything we can cross off" She shakes her head.

"Nope, not unless you've got Hugh Jackman in your address book?"

"No, sorry" He whispers and then turns to find that she's standing right behind him. They share a look.

"No tears" She scolds him, but she's getting upset too. "We're badasses and badasses don't cry" He laughs a little but it's weak. He cups her cheeks in his hands.

"Is there nothing you want to do?" He asks her.

"No" She whispers. "I never really...thought about it.....I guess I would have liked to travel" She whispers. "Maybe...Mexico or Spain...But urm...bit late for that now" He kisses her softly and then pulls her closer to him. She curls into his chest, his arms wrapping around her as he sets his chin on the top of her head. There is no time for anything she wants. She wants to grow up. She wants to go to college, maybe. Have children, maybe. None of that is going to happen. He threads his fingers through her hair and closes his eyes.

........

The morning sun does nothing to make Cassandra feel better. It would normally make her happy. But not today. There is nothing good about today. She can feel it. a sinking feeling in her gut. A warning. Damon draws down her spine with his finger, just touching her because he can, whilst he can. Mapping every inch of her to memory. She's not asleep, neither of them could, but neither are in a rush to get up. Neither of them wants to face the day. Damon kisses her spine and nuzzles into her. Just taking a deep breath before he kisses up her spine to her shoulder, brushing her hair out of the way.

"Hey" He whispers when he sees that she's awake.

"Hey" She counters sadly, they share a look and he kisses her softly. 

........

Cassandra pulls on a hoodie as she and Damon join Elena, Stefan and Elijah in the library. They both wanted to stay in bed, but they kind of need to hear about this ritual. To find out what will happen.

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse" Elijah offers.

"Elena said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake?" Stefan asks. "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus"

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...He'll be a true hybrid"

"Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie" Damon points out.

"Damon..." Stefan warns.