CHAPTER 12

After breakfast, Ayedah did not go home- she and Burak continued to hang out, and were strolling around in the nearby Sultanahmet Square together. It was noon, and the weather was simply fine. The faded sun shone down upon them and others who strolled absent-mindedly across the beautiful and eye-catching square that was a tourist attraction in Istanbul...the air was clear, and the wide area was not loud or crowded. The two enjoyed a quiet walk from the cafe to the square after breakfast, then once again continued to loll around in silence before Ayedah finally spoke up.

"Hey Burak, thank you," Ayedah said shyly. "Really...you didn't have to do all this for me, but thank you." Burak waved his hand dismissively. "Of course I had to," he said. "You did so much more than just take me out for breakfast-" "Still, this...it means a lot, though," interrupted Ayedah. "To me especially. You even paid for our food, good God..."

Burak had not even allowed Ayedah to bicker and argue about payment- he had excused himself to the restroom, when in fact he had secretly gone to the counter to pay for their breakfast. "I knew you would probably try to weasel out of letting me pay, Alıngan Kız," said Burak with a wink. "And that means-" "'Feisty Girl'," Ayedah cut in. "Yep, I knew that one." Burak smirked at her. "Learning your Turkish, I see. But I'm not wrong, though, am I?" he questioned. "I know you well enough to realize beforehand that you would try to pay for us, or at least put in half." "Well, I should've!" exclaimed Ayedah indignantly. "It would've been fair! You don't have to pay, just because you're the man, or whatever-" "I didn't pay because I'm the man," said Burak, trying not to roll his eyes at Ayedah's feminist indignance. "I paid for our breakfast because I'm your friend, because I care about you and because I wanted to."

Ayedah was about to retort, but she silenced herself before she did. "Why I...thank you," she said in a small voice, stuttering slightly and chuckling nervously, averting her eyes. "That's nice of you to say...er..." She had never been so speechless before, so at a loss for words. Burak smiled at her, and eyed her for a while as they walked quietly side-by-side across the square, under the faded autumn sun, Ayedah looking down at her thumbs and twiddling them. "Cat got your tongue, Yazar Hanim?" he asked jokingly, as he watched Ayedah open her mouth to say something but shut it again, and repeating the process several times.

"Yes, actually," she said embarrassedly. "I just...I don't know what to say- and I've never not known what to say, I almost always have something to say, even if I don't actually say it." Her eyes widened at her own shock at herself. And I've never admitted if I'm ever speechless, either...

"You don't have to say anything," said Burak kindly. "Just as I supposedly 'didn't need to do that'- bring you out and have breakfast with you- you don't have to thank me either. I did it sincerely." Ayedah looked up at him, and indeed saw nothing but pure sincerity on his handsome face, and she smiled shyly. "I'm glad," she said. "And well, I'm happy you think I'm worth all this." "Of course you are," chuckled Burak. "Surely you don't think you're not?"

Ayedah didn't answer.

She just stuffed her hands into her pockets and continued to walk, looking down and away from him. Burak's smile fell, and he spoke up again. "You...you don't like all this?" he asked. "Hanging out, and just eating together-" "No, it's not that," interrupted Ayedah. "It's just..." She sighed. "I guess I find it hard to be with others, you know? I've almost always been alone, my whole life, even with Ozge and my aunt there." Burak frowned. "What about your family?" he asked. Ayedah stiffened up, but surprised herself when her mouth continued to speak. "I'm not on good terms with them," she said softly. "And both my parents are dead." Burak was quiet for a while, before he said, "I'm so sorry." "Don't be," said Ayedah, chuckling bitterly. "I wasn't on good terms with them either..."