CHAPTER 38

A/N: Early-ish update uwuwu 

"Ayedah are you not asleep yet-?"

Ayedah looked up from where she sat on the couch, her computer previously being on her lap. She placed it down on the coffee table, before jumping up from the couch where Stormy was still curled up, asleep. She had been writing and working since dinnertime; she returned from home rather late after a visit to set- despite the fact that she was supposed to be on break, especially with the engagement ceremony being the next day. However, she was still full of energy, and gave her aunt a grin as she greeted her.

"Hi Aunt Gab, what's up?" she asked in a cheerful voice. "I have to say, though, you did startle me a little." Her aunt gaped at her, blinking as she raked a hand through her hair. "It's almost 3AM, Ayedah," she said in an astounded voice. "The nikkah is in a few hours! You should get some sleep, Allahu." Ayedah looked at her watch, then shrugged; "I'm not tired," she claimed. "I thought I'd put my energy to work- get some stuff done."

Aunt Gab stared at her; "You've been working your arse off every day these past few days," she said slowly. "Not only with preparing the engagement, but with your writing too, despite the fact that you're on break- or supposed to be. You even went out to set earlier today. Are you sure you aren't tired?" Ayedah shook her head. "Not at all," she replied. "I can't sleep- I've got too much energy, I literally can't stand lying down. I just...need to do something." She laughed, running a hand through her hair and messing it up a little, making her aunt stare at her; "Is everything okay, Ayedah?" she asked slowly.

"Okay?" Ayedah gaped at her, before laughing again. "Okay? Aunt Gab, don't you see? Everything's great- I'm so happy. I'm going to marry the man I'm so in love with, I've got a good job, I have everything! I might as well start flying." Gabriella surveyed her unusually enthusiastic niece, doing her best to rationalize her thoughts on the situation and keep herself calm.

She inhaled deeply and exhaled, before walking over to her niece and putting her hands on her shoulders. "I understand," she said calmly. "It's nerves, I'm sure. I suppose anxiety is keeping you up, and you're working to distract yourself?" Ayedah frowned, pouting slightly.

"Uh, no," she said, laughing again, though in a more nervous and confused tone. "I'm fine. I'm just not tired." She pushed her aunt away and went to the kitchen, opening the fridge to take out a chicken dish leftover from dinner. "I'm hungry, I feel like I haven't eaten in days," she said, as she put the food in the microwave. "You ate quite a lot at dinner," said Aunt Gab, sitting down at the kitchen island. Ayedah shrugged; "Eh," she tittered. "I guess it didn't sink in. But it was really good though, so I'm going to eat some more."

"Ayedah, are you sure everything is alright?" asked Aunt Gab after another few minutes of silence whilst Ayedah took her food out of the microwave and began to eat. "You've been very jumpy and cheerful these past few days..." "And I'm not always like that?" demanded Ayedah. "Am I so desolate to be around that it's out of the ordinary if I'm suddenly happy?" She scoffed. "I thought you wanted me to be happy," she muttered, making her aunt's eyes shoot up from where she looked at her thumbs to meet hers. "Of course I do!" she exclaimed. "And you're not desolate to be around...you're amazing to be around. It's just- you don't usually have that much energy, and you definitely don't eat that much, just because it tastes good." Ayedah cocked an eyebrow.

"I'm not that self-pitying, depressed, lifeless person anymore, Aunt Gab!" she snapped. "I don't want to be seen just because of my past, or who I was anymore! I'm more than that now, I'm fun, I'm awesome! I can be more than just a girl who's had a fucking shit life. I'm okay, more than okay! I'm not-" "Of course, I've never seen you like that, Ayedah," said Aunt Gab, panicked yet her voice was still calm. "To me you've always been this intelligent, empathic, good-hearted girl who yes, has been through a lot- but didn't let her pain get the better of her. You've always turned your pain into power, no matter how much it hurts. Please don't think I only see you for that...I was probably one of the first people who saw past all of it."