II

"Well as I said during service I'm 18 years old. I've been taking care of myself since I was about 13 years old. I was raised by my grandparents up until then, they ended up passing away and I moved in with my mom. I never really had a good relationship with her and my father passed when I was young. She gave me a place to stay but she didn't take care of me, she didn't really like me being around either because I reminded her of my father." She began.

She was looking down at the ground not really wanting to look at us as she spoke. We all sat in silence listening to her story.

"My mother unfortunately had an addiction problem and would be very abusive at times; mentally, verbally and physically. It was an everyday thing, any and every thing use to set her off. She use to have all types of people coming in and out of the house and sometimes she would leave me alone with them so she could get her fix. A majority of the men would touch me inappropriately and she would never believe me when I told her. And then when I was 16 she walked in on her boyfriend trying to force himself on me and instead of believing her daughter she believed him and told me to get out of her house. I've been on my own since that day. I didn't have much money when I left so I been sleeping outside for the most part, I can a occasionally get a hotel room with the money I get from recycling bottles and cans but it's never often."

Dorinda and I looked at each other with a sad look on our faces. I felt so bad for this young girl, she has gone through some things a child should never have to experience. I looked away from Dorinda and looked at Drew, he looked up at me and seemed to be thinking what I was thinking. He gave me a slight nod and I returned one before speaking.

"Victoria sweetie I would like to say that I admire your strength. You've been through so much in your lifetime and still find the courage to keep going on every day but as of now you don't have to be alone in this journey. Drew and I would like to help you and give you a place to stay so you can get on your feet and fulfill whatever dreams you have." I said softly. She paused before looking up at us with tears in her eyes. She shook her head and cleared her throat before speaking.

"You don't have to do that. Allowing me to become a part of this church is all I really need. Allowing me to come in and speak to you was more than enough honestly, I don't want to invade on your personal life with my issues. I've made it this far, I believe I can make it a little longer." She said politely declining my offer.

"Victoria as I said in my sermon earlier you don't have to go through these battles alone. The Lord put it on your heart to come here today and he is putting it on our hearts to help you. So please let us aide you in your time of need." Drew stated.

"It doesn't have to be permanent or even for a long time. When you feel as if you're ready and able to be back on your own then you have the free will to leave from us but just allow us to help you. Even if its just for a little while." I added as I reached over and placed my hand ontop of hers.

She sat in silence for a second before looking around at all of us in the room. Her eyes came back over to me and Drew before she slowly nodded her head.

"Thank you so much for being willing to help me. It means more than you could ever know." She said softly as she wiped her eyes with her free hand. I stood up while holding her hand and wrapped her up in a tight hug.

She seemed to hesitate but soon began to hug me back. Jacky and Dorinda soon joined the hug and we surrounded her in the love that we all knew she had been desperately wanting. We soon let her go and I instructed her to go grab her things so we could head to the house.

Once she was out of the room Kierra looked at me from the doorway with a frown. "Are you sure this is a good idea mommy?" She asked.

"Yes I'm sure Ki. She needs help and we are more than able to help her. It would be wrong for us to turn her away in her time of need." I stated as everyone else gathered their things.

"Alright. Jordan and I are gonna head home and change before dinner. See you in a few." She said before kissing me on my cheek and walking out.

"The kids and I are gonna head home too mama. I'll see yall later." J Drew said as he walked out of the office behind Kierra.

Soon Victoria had came back in with her two bags; she stood next to the door of the office waiting for Drew and I to get our things. Once we had everything he walked over to her taking her bags and leading both of us out to the car.

"Thank you again for helping me Mrs. Sheard. I greatly appreciate it." Victoria said to me as we walked through the parking lot.

"You're welcome sweetheart and you can call me Karen. Mrs Sheard is my mother in law." I said with a light laugh. She laughed as well before nodding.

"Alright but I still have to put the Mrs in front of it, out of respect." She said as we approached the car. I  just laughed and shook my head. Even despite everything she's been through she's still so polite with well manners.

Drew put her bags in the trunk before opening the door for both of us. We quietly thanked him and got in the car. I decided to sit in the back with Victoria so I could talk to her a little more.

"So, what are some things that you enjoy to do in your free time?" I asked her as Drew started driving home.

"Well when I was younger I would spend a lot of time with my grandmother. She taught me how to play the piano and would have me sing with her sometimes." She said with a small smile as she thought about her grandmother.

"We have a piano at home, you're welcome to play it anytime."

"I haven't played since I was 13. I probably need lessons again." She laughed while looking up at me.

"Well I can always teach you. And my older sister Twinkie could teach you how to play the organ if you would like." I suggested.

"Twinkie? Like the cake thing from the store?" She asked curiously. I laughed before nodding my head.

"Yes that's what we call her but its not her actual name. She should be coming over for dinner tonight actually so you'll get to meet her." I explained to Victoria. She nodded before turning and looking out of the window for the rest of the ride.

~~~~~
word count: 1,255

edited