VII

*two weeks later*

Vicky has been with us for about a month and within those 30 days almost everyone has gotten so attached to her it's like she's always been here. She's finally dropped the Mrs and Mr in front of everyones name and have started calling them Auntie and Uncle like the other kids do and she even calls Drew and I "Mama K" and "Poppa Rew". She's also so amazing with the grandbabies; they always want to come over to see "Vi Vi" as they affectionately call her. She plays the piano and sings with them when they want and I can tell she genuinely cares for them like they're her younger siblings.

She's also doing so well in school. She takes her regular classes during the day like everyone else except it's online; and sometimes on the weekends she'll take a class or two in night school to help catch her up to where she's supposed to be. On top of school she's in therapy to help her with her past traumas and she also found a part time job as a dog walker for some of the people in our neighborhood. She's just doing so well and I feel so proud and so honored that I get to experience her growth.

Today everything happened as it normally would. Church was virtual today so we got up and dressed for church as we usually do but we sat in Drew's office during the service. Service ended quicker than usual giving me time to cook ahead of time.

There was a knock on the door as I was in the kitchen preparing dinner. I was elbow deep in the sink washing my greens as some of the family arrived.

"Vicky! Can you get the door please?" I yelled out into the living room as I continued to prep for dinner.

"Yes ma'am." She yelled back. I soon heard her soft footsteps against the floor before hearing the door unlock and open.

"Hi Ki, hi Jordan." I heard her say warmly as she let Kierra and Jordan in the house.

"Hey.. Where's my mommy?" I heard Kierra say in a dry and slightly annoyed voice.

Kierra has been taking the longest to warm up to Vicky. I try to set up little dates for the three of us to go on to bond but everytime Kierra finds out Victoria is going with us she no longer wants to go. My big baby is jealous and although its a little annoying its also very cute because I know it's because she doesn't like to share me with other people. She keeps telling me she's trying to warm up to her but I don't know how hard she's trying because nothing as changed.

"Oh she um, she's in the kitchen." I heard the light excitement that was in Victoria's voice slowly turn into sadness at the way Kierra was talking to her. I shook my head and let the water drain out of the sink as I waited for Kierra to come in the kitchen.

I didn't hear her respond but I heard her heels clicking across the floor and soon she was standing in my kitchen with a big koolaid man smile.

"Hi mommy!" She cheered as she shuffled over to hug me.

"Hey Ki. Y'all here mighty early." I said as I gave her a hug before going back to get the food ready for dinner.

"I know. I just wanted to spend some time with you before everyone else got here." She said as she set her purse down on the counter.

" Aww that's so sweet. But what I need you to do is try and spend some time with Victoria." I said as I glanced back at her. She huffed and rolled her eyes before looking at me.

"But why?" She questioned with her irritation evident in her voice.

"Because she's already been here for a month and you've never taken the time to try to get to know her. I know this is still new and different but just try Kierra. She wants to get to know you and I can only tell her so much about you." I sighed while shaking my head.

"But I don't want to get to know her ma. I don't need a sister and I don't need another friend. You and Daddy are helping her, what she need me for?"

Whew this girl...

"She needs you because we want to give her the family life she never had the opportunity to experience. She didn't have younger or older siblings to bond with, she didn't have loving and supportive parents or aunts and uncles. She's never had a big sister to go to for advice or an older sister to help her when she's gotten into some trouble." I replied as I turned around to look at Kierra.

"She could've found that anywhere else. She didn't have to come here and push her way into the family." She argued back. Why is she being like this?

"And have you thought about the times she may have tried and was placed back into the same situation over and over again? Or the fact that she didn't accept our offer to help her when I first brought it up? That girl has done nothing to you and you are always so rude to her. You know what, get out my kitchen." I said as I turned around.

"But mommy-"

"Out. Now Kierra." I said again with more authority. I heard her sigh and grab her purse before walking out to the living room.

I placed my hands down on the edge of the sink and bowed my head as I took a deep breath to try and calm myself down. I just don't understand why she has to be so difficult.

~~~~~~
word count: 977

edited