XIV

Kierra

I waited outside the door as Vicky grabbed her things then when she came out we started walking down towards the elevator.

"So tell me something about yourself. I don't really know much other than your name and age." I said as we were walking.

"Well um my birthday is May 3rd, my favorite color is red, I like to draw and paint and Aunt Twinkie is teaching me how to play the organ and piano. But other than that I'm pretty boring." She responded as we were waiting for the elevator.

"What kind of stuff do you draw?" I asked just to keep the conversation going.

"People, flowers, sometimes I sketch out little outfits that I think would be cute but I don't do that alot."

"You should show me some when we get back home. We could make some sample clothing if you'd like to." I said as we stepped on the elevator. I pushed the button to take us to the first floor as she responded to me.

"No clothes are definitely your thing. I like to stay in my little bubble with my flowers and stuff. They're the easiest to draw." She replied shaking her head.

"Just try it. It would give us something to bond over other than music and family." I suggested once last time.

"I'll think about it but bonding over music would be much easier. You all have so much to teach me and I'm always ready to learn. I'm gon be like Aunt Jacky though. Ian doing all them riffs and runs." She said. I laughed at her comment because I knew she was serious.

"Yeah, Mommy and Auntie Doe be getting carried away on them runs."

"You do too! When you and Mama K be doing then run battles at concerts and stuff. I can't do all that. I can hold a little tune but not all that complicated stuff." She said as the elevator doors opened. We stepped off and started walking towards the pool area as we continued to talk.

"I'm not as extra as Mommy though. She be echoing and going all high." I shook my head at the thought of how high Mommy can sing.

"Seriously. She sing so high it's dumb. Like why can you even hit those notes that be all the way to the ceiling?"

"That's exactly what I be saying! She'll be like 'Ki do this' and then be singing next to Jesus' window like girl ain't nobody going way up there but you." I laughed as we walked over to the pool.

We both took our shoes off and rolled our dresses right above our knees before sitting down and dipping our feet in the pool. I kicked the water around a bit as Vicky was getting situated and once we were sitting we resumed the conversation.

"How's school going?" I asked as we kicked the water around.

"It's okay. I just have a lot of classes cause I'm trying to catch up to my actual grade level. English is hard for me though; I'm not that good at writing essays and research papers." She said with a shrug.

"Are you still gonna try join the track team when we get home?"

"Yes most likely. It'll give me something to do so I'm not home all the time. Plus I need to make some friends." I nodded as she spoke before adding in.

"True. Maybe you could find you a little boyfriend too." I slightly teased as I bumped her shoulder with mine.

"Oh noo I'm not looking for all that." She said as her cheeks slightly turned red.

"That's what you're saying now but you gon go to school and see a cute boy and be head over heels." I teased again making her hide her face.

"And even if I did I doubt they would look my way."

"Don't say that. You're beautiful and I'm sure all the boys gon wanna talk to you. They gon see that smile and them dimples and just fall in love." I spoke with honesty.

"I don't know. It's the middle of the school year and I don't even go to the actual building. Who knows what he would do behind my back." She sighed.

"Well why don't you actually go to school?" I asked.

"Too many people. I would be an outsider anyway. Everyone has their cliques and friend groups together already and I'm 99 percent sure that I wouldn't fit in even if I tried."

"I'm sure you would. Start making friends on the track team and then when you do go to school you'll have someone to hang out with during the day and at lunch."  I said trying to encourage her a little more.

"I'll try but if I don't like it I'm going back in my bubble." She said making me laugh at her.

We talked for a few more minutes before deciding to head upstairs. We went up to our floor on the elevator and I was walking her back to her and my parents room but she stopped a few feet from the door.

"Nope Ian going in there." She said shaking her head.

"Why not?" I asked looking at the door. My eyes went to the handle and I saw the 'Do not disturb sign' on the door.

"That's why." She said as she pointed at the sign on the door. I started laughing hysterically making her look at me with a frown.

"Its not funny Ki." She said with a straight face.

"It is a little bit. Let's go see what Auntie Doe doing, maybe we could mess with her for a while." I said as we started walking down the hall again.

We stopped in front of Auntie Doe's door and Vicky audibly groaned as we saw the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on her door too.

"So everybody being nasty?!" She asked in disbelief.

"The married folks is." I said with another laugh as my phone went off. I pulled it out of my back pocket seeing that I had a message from Jordan. I tapped on out thread and immediately put my phone against my chest after seeing what he sent.

"Oop. Gotta blast." I said as I locked my phone and started walking towards my room.

"Oh God not you too." She groaned slightly throwing a fit.

"Girl I's married now! I got to go!" I said as I put my 'baptist finger' up while continuing my walk to my room.

"Fine. Don't get pregnant!" She yelled from down the hall as she went to Aunt Jacky's room.

"No promises!" I said as I opened the door with my room key. I grabbed the sign off of the desk before putting it on the outside of Jordan and I's door.

I locked the door before turning around to see Jordan coming out of the bathroom. Steam was coming from behind him cause of the shower and he had his towel wrapped around his waist. He looked up at me before giving me a smile that made me weak.

Lord help me.

~~~~~~
word count: 1,191

edited