XII

Jacky

It had been a day since the doctor came and took the ventilator out for Em but she was still in a deep sleep. I called Karen and Vicky to let them know the news but it was still a waiting game from here and not a very exciting one. She made great progress by being able to breathe on her own but we don't know how much damage her injuries did. I just continued to sit by her bedside praying for her and waiting for her to wake up.

It was around 10:30 the next morning and I was getting myself ready when I heard another low groan come from Emrys. I quickly turned around and caught her as she tried to open her eyes. I rushed to her side and watched her intensely to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me and sure enough after a few seconds her eyes started to crack open causing tears of immense joy to flood my eyes.

"Hey there sleepy head? Can you hear me?" I asked as I pulled the chair closer to her bedside before sitting down. There was light confusion in her eyes when she heard my voice and she looked around until she spotted me.

"Oh thank God you're finally up. You had me so worried you know that?" I said as I grabbed her hand and held it close to my chest as tears escaped my eyes. She opened her mouth to speak but almost immediately started coughing which made me grab the cup of water I had earlier and gave it to her.

I bent the straw and placed the cup down in front of her so she wouldn't have to sit up completely. She took a few sips before sitting back and clearing her throat. I set the cup close by just incase she needed more water later on.

"How long was I out?" She asked in a hoarse voice.

"For almost 3 weeks. We didn't think you would make it." I said getting slightly choked up at the thought.

"Apple Jack I'm good. Ain't no need to be crying, you know I'm thugged out." She joked with a smile that caused me to laugh lightly. Even in sickness she knew how to make someone laugh.

"I know 'thugged out' but you were in bad shape Honeybunches of Oats. Had me so worried I haven't even left." I said calling her by the nickname I had given her during summer. She gave me a lopsided grin before briefly closing her eyes and lightly squeezing my hand.

"Thanks for staying here with me Mama Jacky I really appreciate it." She said as her morning nurse knocked on the doorframe.

"Well look who's finally up. How you feeling hun?" She asked as she came in started checking Emrys's vitals.

"I'm okay. The lights are making my head hurt though." She answered as the nurse continued to check on her. As she was doing that I took the opportunity to text everyone and let them know that she had woken up. Seconds later almost everyone said that they were on their way up here to see her.

The nurse finished her morning rounds and about ten minutes later the doctors and surgeons came in and checked on Emrys to make sure everything was alright and to make sure that her injuries didn't leave her with any disabilities and thankfully they didn't. She would just need physical therapy to improve her strength and help her learn to walk again since her pelvis was shattered from the fall.

After they checked her out they gave her some pain medicine and lunch which caused her to become drowsy by the time everyone made it to the hospital. Of course Karen and Vicky were the first two people bursting through the door.