X

~~~~

It was around 1:30 when the doorbell rang causing me to look up from my laptop and towards the door. I took my glasses off and set them on the table before getting up and walking towards the door. I could hear my sisters on the other side of the door so I just unlocked the door and opened it slightly in order to let them in. I could barely open the door before Dorinda pushed it open all the way and ran inside.

"Whew girl move I got to pee!" She exclaimed as she threw her purse on the couch and ran to the bathroom. I just shook my head with a laugh as I moved to let Jacky and Twinkie step inside before closing and locking the door.

"Well hello to you too ma'am." I called out jokingly before greeting my older sisters.

"She is a mess. How you doing today K?" Twinkie asked as she gave me a hug before moving to sit on the couch.

"Yes she is and I'm doing alright. Could definitely be better but I won't complain." I responded as I hugged her back  before turning and giving Jacky a hug as well.

"I understand. How's Vicky? Is she upstairs?" Jacky asked as we released each other from the hug and went to our seats.

"No, she came home earlier to shower and get some more clothes but she's back at the hospital with Emrys." I said as I sat on the couch adjacent to where Twinkie and Jacky were sitting. Soon after I said that Dorinda came out of the bathroom drying her hands with some paper towel.

"Whew girl I thought I wasn't gon make it!" She said with a laugh as she threw her paper towel away before sitting next to me.

"I told you to go to the bathroom before we left the church but you didn't listen." Jacky said with a shrug.

"Now you know she don't listen to nobody." Twinkie said with a light laugh causing us to laugh in agreement.

"Oh whatever y'all. Vicky still at the hospital?" Dorinda asked me causing me to nod my head.

"Yeah she is. Hopefully she's getting some rest cause she was up all night worried about Emrys. They had to rush her into surgery around 3 this morning cause of a brain bleed." I said filling them in on what was happening with her.

"My goodness. What happened?" Twinkie asked reminding me that I didn't give them all the details when I got home yesterday.

"Well from what I gathered she went back to her foster home to get her things but got into an argument with her foster mom's boyfriend. I'm not sure what it was about but he ended up setting her clothes on fire then locking her in the room and she tried to escape through the window but it ended up closing on her hands and she fell and hit her head." I said basically summing everything up as best as I could. They all gasped in disbelief and were left speechless.

"That is terrible! Please tell me somebody is pressing charges." Jacky said as she shook her head not wanting to believe what she just heard.

" Well the police have him in holding right now but Vicky told me that no one came up to the hospital to check on her at all throughout the night. No social worker or detective or anything. And she had started staying here because she got put out and they won't rehouse her cause she's about to be 18." I said with a sigh as I thought about the whole situtaion.

"So who found her and took her to the hospital?" Dorinda asked.

"One of her and Vicky's friend, a young lady named Aavya. She came and checked on Vicky earlier today before taking her back to the hospital." I said deciding to keep everything else about their 'friendship' to myself for now.

"Aw that was sweet of her." Twinkie said with a smile causing me nod with a smile.

"Yeah it is. And I was thinking maybe we could go up there later and pray over her. She's on life support right now and the doctor's were pressuring Vicky to make a decision earlier this morning about it."

"If they don't give that baby time to heal! It's barely been a day!" Jacky said in annoyance.

"I know Vicky was ranting about that earlier. But seriously, she needs a spiritual covering right now as well as some love from the family so we need to go up there. Cause just like Vicky, we're the closest thing she has to family right now." I said causing my sisters to nod in agreement.

With that we all got up and got our things together so we could walk out of the door. Dorinda and Twinkie walked out first leaving Jacky and I inside while I put everything in my purse. I paused for a second and looked up to see her staring off into space with a concerned look on her face. I grabbed my keys before walking over to her and placing my hand on her shoulder pulling her out of her day dreaming state.

"You okay?" I asked as we began walking out of the house.

"I just can't believe someone would hurt that sweet child like that. She was always so respectful and kind when her and Vicky would come over after track practice. She has the purest soul and she had to go through all that pain for what? She don't deserve that." Jacky vented sadly as she thought about this whole situation that was going on with Emrys.

"I know Jack but we can't do anything but pray that God heals her and to be by her side while he does it. She's a strong girl, I'm sure she'll pull through and come out a thousand times stronger." I replied as we walked to my car. She just nodded her head before going around to the other side of the car and getting in.

I got in as well and soon we were headed to the hospital with Dorinda and Twinkie following behind me in Dorinda's car. The whole ride there I could feel Jacky's distress so I just silently prayed for her as well as Emrys.

~~~~~~~

word count: 1,041

edited