V

~~~~~~

Vicky had ended up taking a quick nap after school which gave me time to call everyone and let them know what was going on tonight. It was now 5 o'clock and Kierra and J Drew were on they're way back form the store. I tidied a few things up before calling the local pizza place and ordering the food for tonight.

After all that was said and done it was about 5:20 so I went upstairs to Vicky's room to wake her up. Once I made it up the stairs I checked the bathroom first to see if she was in there; she wasn't so I just continued my way to her room before knocking on her door. When I didn't get an immediate response I slowly opened her door and saw her basically passed out in the middle of her bed.

I shook my head with a laugh as I made my way over to her bed. I sat down next to her and gently shook her in an effort to wake her up but all she did was groan and roll over.

"Vicky, it's time to get up. Everyone will be here soon." I said as I shook her again. She groaned again before finally rolling back over to look at me. She rubbed her eyes and slowly scooted towards me before laying her head in my lap.

"What time is it?" She asked sleepily as she closed her eyes again.

"Its about 5:30 and everyone will be here at 6 so you need to get up." I said as I moved her hair out of her face.

"Okay. Can we stay like this for a few more minutes?" She asked softly as she attempted to cuddle into me more.

"Sure but only 10 more minutes okay?" I agreed as I began to run my fingers through her hair in a soothing manner.

We sat in silence the entire time and luckily Vicky didn't go back to sleep. I checked my watch and saw that the ten minutes had passed so I lightly shook her again to let her know it was time to get up. She sighed before reluctantly getting up from my lap and stretched.

As soon as I stood up from her bed the doorbell rang so I gave her a quick kiss on her forehead before heading downstairs to open the door. When I opened the door I basically revealed my entire immediate family causing me to laugh slightly.

"So y'all can be on time for this but not church?" I said jokingly as I let them all in the house.

I received scattered responses as they all walked in and began to set up everything they had brought. Shortly after everyone arrived the food came as well and Vicky made her way downstairs.

We all sat down and ate a little before getting into the games to make it seem like a normal night for Vicky.

Omniscient

The whole family was enjoying the night; talking, laughing and playing games together. While Vicky was distracted by the games Shamika took that as an opportunity to pull individual people to the side and ask them how they felt about Vicky officially becoming a Sheard.

"It's about dang time!" Jacky said with a laugh before continuing.

"You know what I say, once I feed you you're one of my chirren."

"Oh I just think it's absolutely wonderful!" Dorinda said excitedly during her turn.

"She's just such a sweet young lady and I'm glad that she's officially a part of the family." Twinkie commented during her turn.

"Man I'm just finally excited to have a little sister. She's nicer than Kierra is so I'm cool with it." J Drew said before Kierra came in and commented.

"Boy shut up I am not mean to you!" Kierra said as Shamika panned the camera from her back to J Drew.

"See what I mean." He responded with a light laugh before walking out.

"So how you feel about it Sara?" Shamika asked from the other side of the camera.

"Well it took some time to get use to in the beginning but I'm genuinely happy that she came into our lives. This is really about to be the best day ever." Kierra commented with a smile before leaving out of the room.

It was almost 8:30 so Karen and Drew decided it was time to tell Vicky the surprise.

"You recording Mika?" Karen asked before her and Drew made the announcement. Shamika nodded and gave her a thumbs up letting her know to continue.

"Alright so Vicky we have a big surprise for you. Close your eyes so I can hand it to you." Karen said as she went and grabbed the framed document from the closet near the front door.

"Is it the puppy we saw at the shelter the other week?" Vicky asked excitedly as she closed her eyes and held out her hands.

"No it's not a puppy. I personally think its better than a puppy." Drew answered with a laugh.

"What can be better than a puppy?" Vicky asked making everyone laugh.

"This is. Open up" Karen said as she placed the frame in Victoria's hands.

Vicky slowly peeked one of her eyes open and looked at the document. She soon opened both eyes and they were filled with shock and tears.

"Oh my goodness. You guys didn't." She said with a gasp as she shot out of her chair.

"But we did. You are officially Victoria Melody Briggs - Sheard. Welcome to the family sweetheart." Karen said with a bright but nervous smile.

Vicky stood in awe just staring at the document for a few seconds before quickly but carefully setting it down to run over to Drew and Karen. They both welcomed her with open arms and engulfed her in a loving hug as she softly cried.

"This really is better than a puppy." She said tearfully making Drew and Karen laugh softly.

"See I told you." Drew said as he finally let her go. He took his handkerchief out of his pocket and began to wipe the tears off of Vicky's face making the family collectively say 'Aww'.

Soon everyone else got up and gave Vicky a tight hug as a formal welcome into the family. As everyone was celebrating the surprise Vicky got a phone call from an unknown number but she felt compelled to answer it. She stepped into the kitchen and took the call hesitantly.

"Hello? Is this Victoria Briggs?" The unknown person said from the other end.

"This is she. Who am I speaking with?" She asked as she put the phone on speaker and set the phone down on to get her a glass of water.

"This is Dr. John Roberts from St. Frances hospital. You were listed as a emergency contact for a Ms. Emrys Jackson so I was calling to inform you that she was rushed to the hospital and is now in emergency surgery."

Upon those words the glass slipped from Vicky's hand and shattered on the floor.

~~~~~~~~

word count: 1,187

edited