IV

After dinner

Dinner had went on as normal and afterwards Dorinda and Jacky helped me clean up and put the food away while everyone else sat around and talked for a bit more. An hour had passed before we had finally finished with cleaning the kitchen and once we were done we all headed back into the living to sit and talk with everyone. We sat and talked for about 30 minutes before everyone started heading home. It took about 20 minutes for everyone to leave but soon it was just Drew, Victoria and I left in the house.

"I'm gonna go lay down now Mrs Karen." Victoria told me softly as she got up from the couch.

"Alright sweetheart go and get you some rest. Goodnight." I replied as she rubbed her eyes a little.

"Goodnight Mrs Karen. Goodnight Mr Drew." She replied as she walked up the stairs.

"She has some good manners." Drew commented as he came over and sat next to me on the couch.

"I know. She's such a sweet girl Drew." I agreed as I leaned over and placed my head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around me and we sat there in silence for a moment just enjoying each other's company.

Not long after we got up and headed upstairs to get ready for bed ourselves. As Drew took his nightly shower I sat down at my vanity and clipped my hair out of my face before taking off my makeup with some wipes. By the time I was done with that Drew was out of the shower so I went and quickly took mine before putting on a night gown and preparing to get in the bed myself.

It was around 9:45pm and Drew and I were about to say our nightly prayers before getting in the bed when we heard something fall and shatter downstairs. We quickly put our robes and some slippers on before heading to the kitchen to see what happened.

As I came around the corner I saw Victoria on the floor trying to pick up the shards of what seemed to be a glass cup.

"What happened?" I asked as I made my way over to where she was. She began to spew out apologies and explained that she was trying to get a glass of ice tea as she tried grabbing the pieces faster.

"It's fine sweetheart. Don't pick that up you'll hurt yourself." I said trying to calm her.

I reached out to her which made her flinch and drop the shards that were in her hands to shield herself. She had her arms in front of her face and her knees curled up to her chest.

"Oh Victoria.." I sighed sadly. I approached her slower this time and gently took her arms down from her face as Drew came and swept up the glass.

"Are you alright? Did the glass cut you anywhere?" I questioned as I looked on her hands and arms for any cuts.

"N-no it didn't cut me. I'm sorry I didn't mean to break it. I'm so sorry." She sobbed as she hung her head in shame.

"It's fine sweetheart I know it was an accident. Plus it's just a cup that doesn't matter. Drew get her some water so she can calm down." I said as I carefully got down on the floor to sit in front of her.

I gently took her face in my hands and started having her mimic my breathing to help her calm down.

"In for 5, 4, 3 , 2, and out for 1, 2, 3, 4. There you go, it's alright. You're safe here okay? Nothing or no one can ever harm you while you're here okay? Well expect for a spider cause you're on your own with that." I joked lightly which made her laugh as she continued to calm herself down.

Once she was calm we stood up from the floor and I grabbed a napkin and wiped her face off before handing her the water Drew had gotten for her.

"You alright now?" I asked as I gently rubbed her back. She sniffled before taking a deep breath nodding.

"Yes I'm fine now Mrs Karen. Thank you for calming me down. And again I'm sorry about the glass. I'll replace it once I get some money." She told me as we started heading back upstairs.

"Don't worry about it, like I said your safety comes first sweetheart. We have plenty more glasses but there's only one of you." I reassured her.

She nodded her head once more and went back into her room bidding Drew and I goodnight one final time.

"You got all the glass up?" I questioned once Drew and I were in our room again.

"I think I did. I'll sweep again tomorrow morning just to make sure." He answered as we got in the bed.

"Alright. Dorinda and I were talking about taking Victoria out this week and finding her a therapist to help her heal as well as some other things." I threw in as I adjusted my pillows and got comfortable.

"That's a great idea. That way she'll have someone to help with things we can't."

"Yeah. I'll talk to her about it in the morning. Goodnight honey." I leaned over and kissed him softly before pulling the covers over myself.

"Goodnight dear." He remarked one last time after kissing me back. He then reached over and turned his bedside lamp off and got comfortable as well. Shortly after we both fell into a peaceful sleep until the morning.

~~~~~~~
word count: 936

edited