XI

~~~~~

As we made our way to the hospital I could feel Jacky's concern and worry continue to rise and it shot through the roof as soon as we stepped into Em's hospital room. She had immediately gone over and started adjusting the pillows and covers around Emrys' body to ensure she was comfortable before sitting right next to her bed and basically refusing to move the whole time; even when it was time to go.

"Jacky come on now visiting hours are almost over we gotta go." I said as I stood by the door with my purse in my arm.

"I'm not going anywhere. Vicky can gon on home cause she needs to go back to school. I'll stay right up here with Emrys." She said for what seemed like the millionth time.

"But she really wants to stay with her friend Jacky." I said trying to get her to leave.

"Well what she needs to do is to get back in school so she can graduate. She don't need to be here night and day when she has school work to do. Now go wake her up and take her home, I'll be fine here." She said as she folded her arms and gave me a look that say 'Try me'.

"Alright. I'll stop by in the morning and bring you a change of clothes." I said as I walked over to Vicky. I placed my hand on her shoulder and lightly shook her which woke her up. She sat up and rubbed her eyes before looking up at me.

"You about to go?" She asked with a yawn as she looked over and still saw Jacky sitting next to the bed.

"Yeah but you're coming with me. You gotta get back to school." I said as I reached down and grabbed her bag to get her to get up.

"But I want to stay until she wakes up." She said with a pout on her face that would usually make me give in but I couldn't cause I had Mattie Moss Jr staring me down.

"We don't know when that'll be though Vic so you need to get back to school right away. I'll bring you up to visit during after school whenever you want but we gotta go home." I said as I grabbed her hand and pulled her up.

"So who's gonna stay here with her and make sure the doctors don't pull no funny stuff?" She asked as she reluctantly got up and fixed her clothes.

"I will. Now gone on and go home with your mama, I got it from here." Jacky butted in to answer Vicky's question.

"Well why ain't y'all just say that right away? Come on Mommy let's go." Vicky replied as she grabbed her phone and bag from me. She walked over to Jacky and gave her a quick hug and a kiss before kissing Emrys's head and saying a quick little prayer over her.

Once she was done she walked out of the room and made her way to the car as I made sure Jacky would be fine.

"You sure you want to stay?" I asked again as I walked towards the door. The last time she stayed overnight in the hospital with someone was when we lost Glynn.

"Yes I'm sure. I'm not busy and I don't have kids to take care of or anyone at home for me to take care of so I can be here with her as long as I need to." She said with a sad smile.

"Alright well call me if you need anything." I said before blowing her a kiss and walking out of the room.

Omniscient

Jacky kept her word and spent everyday at the hospital while Vicky was at school. She had basically moved into the hospital over the span of two weeks and stayed up night and day praying over Emrys asking God to heal and restore her with her right mind.

She had been there for about two and a half weeks before Emrys finally had a break through. She was sitting in the recliner as she had been when she heard a low groan come from Emrys. She quickly looked up and watched intently waiting for something else to happen.

Her ears soon met the sound of Emrys slightly choking on the ventilator that was placed in her mouth so she quickly got up and pressed the button for the nurse to come in. She went over and stood by the bed as she spoke softly to her trying to see if she would wake up.

"Emrys sweetheart if you can hear me stop struggling. It'll be out in a second okay just calm down and let it breathe for you for a few more seconds." She said softly into Em's ear before waiting to see if she would stop struggling and thankfully she did.

Soon a nurse came in and she explained to her what had just happened. The nurse paged the doctor and soon they were taking the ventilator out and waiting for Emrys to take her first breath on her own which happened almost immediately. The room had gone completely silent as they heard Emrys take in a deep breath.

They waited a few more seconds to see if she would wake up but just as soon as she was about to she fell right back into a coma adjacent slumber and Jacky was left waiting once again.

~~~~~~~

word count: 919

edited

(so this will be coming to an end but I'm making a part two about Jacky and Emrys called The Weeping Widow so be on the look out.)