○ 2

"All right everyone" the teacher began and all eyes fell on his. "I'd like to introduce your newest classmate, this is Lee Donghyuck, he just moved here from Jeju island so be nice to him- Donghyuck would you like to say anything?"

"It's actually Haechan," he said nonchalantly, voice deep as it oscillated around the classroom and the teacher looked down at his paper.

"Is that like a nickname or?"

"No it's my name," he said as he twisted his pen deftly on his hand.

"Right... gotcha- Lee Haechan everyone," the teacher said before starting the lesson with as much enthusiasm as you could have on a dreary Monday morning.

Albeit Mari should be paying attention to the lesson, her mind wondered. Her chin resting on her propped up hand as she gazed desultory at her page with the words her teacher spoke flowing from one ear out of the next.

Her eyes flickered up at the thought of the boy, her face remaining stoic as she peered at his side profile.

Four little moles placed scattered on his golden melanin skin just like they used to. Eyelashes batting ever so often as they looked around the classroom bored with his palms gripping the edge of the table to sturdy himself as he rocked on the back legs of his seat.

As his eyes wondered around the classroom they fell onto Mari's, her face remaining blank as they shared a few seconds of unresponsive eye contact.

Haechan drops his chair back down to the floor slowly, eyes still staring into hers blankly. It had been a few years since they had last met and a few years can change someone drastically.

His eyes felt unfamiliar, the once warm brown orbs he had possessed that she grew to feel comfort from- felt foreign.

A bubble of unknown feelings brewed in her stomach, her chest rising and falling ever so slightly faster and she felt overwhelmed by his gaze but it didn't matter, it never did.

As stated before, a few years can change someone- and Mari had changed the most.

She blinked at him once more before turning her head, stealing her gaze away from his and planting it onto the board in front of her.

The burning of his eyes on her however remained for a few seconds longer before they too fell towards the board that held nonsensical scribbles of words they were expected to learn.

It might have felt only one sided but the atmosphere shifted that day, the moment he walked through that door, a new unexpected aura infiltrated the room and brought a heavy weight of tension upon the class.

Everyone might not have felt it but it was there and it filled and infected the lungs of every individual quick.

The tension attaching itself onto every surface and not letting go. Unfelt and unseen to ones eye other than the two who had just broke a eye contact after seeing each other for the first time in years.

The ticking of the clock hands resounded round the room as the teacher let his students finish the question he had just asked.

Pens deftly marking the paper and staining it black with an equation and attempt of an answer.

But Mari could not focus. Her pen laid in her hand, the tip resting on the page as the slight shake of her hand made the pen leave a scribble of black on her page.

Her eyes boring lasers into the paper as her mind ran blank.

What was he doing here?
What brought him to Seoul?
It doesn't matter anyway-

"Mari," her head shot up abruptly. Blinking a few times as she made eye contact with the teacher who looked at her with a waiting stance.

"Can you please come up and write the answer on the board."

—————

What's your thoughts my darlings?

What do you recon happened between the two?