○ 35

"Mari get your brother we're going to be late!" Her father yelled from the bottom of the stairs as her frantic figure ran around her room trying to get ready.

Yelling back a loud "Yeah!" Mari quickly pushed in a pair of simple silver studs into her ears and sprayed herself with a spritz of perfume.

Usually she wasn't one to dress up for the Lee family, having known them since she was a baby. But it was upon her fathers request as this was 'Chohee's official introduction' and she really wasn't in the mood to be scolded for not trying hard enough for this family- ugh.

Grabbing her phone she quickly made her way to her brothers room, stopping by their mirror in the hallway to run a hand through her hair to dishevel it a little before banging on the door to her brothers room.

"Minsu hurry up," she exclaimed, hearing him shout back "just a second" before opening the door and pushing past her- his hair a mess as he fled into the bathroom.

Mari's eyebrows knitted together as she walked towards the bathroom entrance, leaning against the door frame with her arms crossed.

"Whatcha doin'?" Mari asked incredulously, looking at her brother under scrutiny as he spat out the mouth wash he had just gargled.

Breathing into his hand and smelling it before nodding his head in satisfaction.
"Tryna make a good impression."

"On who?" Watching as he racked his wet fingers through his hair to flatten it down.

"No one in specific-"

"It's Haewon isn't it? Why're you trying to impress her. You were basically raised in diapers together," Mari laughed at the vague memory of them two as toddlers.

When she didn't get a response she looked at him through the mirror, eye brows raising in realisation. "You like her, don't you?"

Minsu stopped his action to look at his sister.
"Like?" He fake vomited, "that's disgusting. No I could never like her like that. She's like my sister."

"Then why're you trying to impress her?"

"Because..." Minsu sighed, resting against the sink and avoiding eye contact.
"I don't know, it's just I haven't seen her in two years and like what if it's different now? What if she doesn't like me? What if she thinks I've changed?"

Mari's mouth dropped at his confession before sighing and leaning against the sink next to him, looking at his side profile.

"Look Minsu, the truth is you have changed," she could see his shoulders slump.
"You've grown, yes. But you're the same as you were all those years ago. The same bright, funny boy and she will love you- just like she did back then. Now come here," she said, pulling the boy into a hug.

"Thanks Ma," he said as he pulled away, "besides, there can only be one of us to date into that family and it's definitely not me."

"Right," Mari said, not fully realising what he meant until she saw the cheeky smile plastered on his lips as he began to stalk out of the room.

"Wait- huh?!" She exclaimed in realisation, a wave of disgust filling her body at his suggestion as she chased him down the stairs.

"Okay everyone, its just like old times," Mari's father spoke as he pulled into the Lee family drive way and looked into the rear view mirror at his children.
"On our best behaviour."

"Oh hunny I am so excited to finally meet more of your friends," Chohee declared thrilled, Mari and Minsu looking towards each other and rolling their eyes.

Pushing open the car door the four of them made their way to the front door, her dad making a sharp knock on the door.

The sound of footsteps nearing the door set of a flare inside of Mari making her palms sweaty and stomach drop.

"Hanwool!" Donghyucks mother exclaimed as she opened the door, bringing her dad in for a tight hug, both respectively kissing each other's cheeks in welcome.

"And this must be Chohee, it's so nice to meet you," the older lady brought Chohee in for a hug.

"It's a pleasure, Hanwool has told me so much about you," Chohee smiled as she stepped into her partners embrace.

"We'll look at you two, all smitten. It's good to see you happy Hanwool," Donghyucks mother spoke, a familiar smile pulled on her lips.

"You too Doyun, you looks vibrant," Hanwool said and Doyun tutted.

"You're too much Hanwool," she looked away from the couple towards Mari and her brother.
"And look at you two, so grown up," she placed her palm on each of their cheeks, giving them a warm smile before breaking it off to hug Minsu.

"You've gotten so handsome Minsu, and so tall too! Maybe you've finally overgrown Haewon," she laughed and Minsus ears turned bright red.

"Ahah, thanks," Clearing his voice before slipping past the women to walk in the house.  He was never one for compliments.

Doyun finally looked towards Mari, eye softening as she finally took in her appearance.
"You're absolutely beautiful, Mari. Oh how I've missed you," she said in the most sincere tone as she reached out to pull the girl into a hug.

Mari was shocked at her words but quickly melted into the familiar hug.

Doyun was there for Mari whenever her mother couldn't be. She was her second mother, a shoulder to lean on.

Doyun had probably raised Mari more than her own mother in the last few years before the divorce. So being back in her arms sent a wave of emotions crashing into her and she had to resist the urge to cry.

"How have you been sweetheart," The motherly figure asked with sincerity as she pulled away from the girl, fingers coming up to brush away the stray hairs.

Mari shrugged, "I've been good."

The sound of Doyun exhaling filled the air and Mari could only smile in response.

"My dearest poppy, I want you to know, that whatever happened all those years ago- between you and him. You should try and talk it out. There may be more to it than you think," Doyun smiled at the girl, eyes filled with a glimmer of hope that Mari only wished she could have.

Talk it out? Maybe that would be what was best. Hear his side of the story. But what would there be to hear? When her emotions are blocking her ears, pulsing and blurring the words that he speaks.

Mari nodded timidly.

"Thank you my poppy, now let's get inside. I've made my famous Kimchi soup."