○ 6

As she looked up to the vast canvas of ultramarine blue with pillows of white fluffy clouds littering the sky, a wave of elation flooded her body.

Eyes following the little airplane that laid thousands of kilometres away in the sky before its body disappeared into the soft cloud.

The sun beamed down on her with a warmth that spread through her body and the breeze of the tree she sat underneath cooled her skin.

It was blissful, euphoric, the perfect weather for such laid back afternoon.

"Ahhh" a relaxed sigh lifted into the air.
"You know, this weather makes me feel motivated."

"Motivated? To do what?" Mari peered down at the girl whose head laid on her stomach.
"I don't know, but it makes me want to work out and study and just get my life together, you get me?"

Mari's eyebrows knitted together as she let out an elongated 'aaaa' sound in thought.
"Nope cant say I do, but it does make me want ice cream."

At the suggestion of the creamy cold dessert Daeun shot up to look at the girl with wide glimmering eyes, the sun setting sparkles in her dark brown orbs.

"I like your thinking," she said as she stood up, brushing the grass off her legs before extending a hand out to the girl.

Mari reached her hand out and grasped the girls, her feet coming flat to the floor as she grabbed her bag from under the tree.

"I know a place not too far from here," Daeun said as the two began walking towards the schools entrance.

Being in the second last year meant that they had free periods to "study" which they never did, because what sane person would use their study periods to actually study.

Instead, however, they would roam the school finding new things to do- with a little over an hour every Thursday to do whatever they wanted. But they usually spent it outside under the tree, or in the dance room.

"Where are you two off to now?" One of the teachers on look out called out to them and they turned around in their spot.

"We're just going to get ice cream Mrs Gwan, we will be back soon," Daeun said, flashing the teacher a wide grin who in returned waved the two girls off dismissively.

The teachers never really cared because they knew they'd always come back. I guess that's the privileges you get for befriending the daughter of the principal.

Mari looked at her friend and shook her head, walking off into the distance.
"What?" Daeun asked as she ran up to the girl.

"How does your dad never get angry? You are like barely ever on campus," Mari asked genuinely and Daeun let out a small laugh.

"Well, I've never gotten below a B and he's too focused on his work to ever really notice I leave the premises, so it works out," she said with a shrug before linking her arm through her best friends and walking out of the schools gate.

The warmth of the classroom crept upon Mari's body and cased her in a cocoon of heated preservation- sending a wave of fatigue crashing violently through her body.

Her eyes drooping from the weight of her eyelids and her breath slowing down caused her to let out a yawn.

Her ears becoming hyper sensitive to the words her teacher was saying as each time he spoke it felt like a jolt waking her up from the impending sleep invading her body.

"And that's where our group report comes in-"

"Report?" Mari said subconsciously, jolting up and eyes becoming wide at the sound of a group project.

"Yes Mari, that's correct. The report I assigned a week ago," the teacher spoke out looking at the girl who only just realised she had said that out loud.

"Ah, yes right the uh project," she stammered out with a slight laugh, dropping her head to the table once the teacher had turned back to the board.

"I have already assigned parters so I expect by next week that you meet up and start planning," he started, moving to his desk to pick up a pile of papers.

"I have the permission slips that need to be signed by your parents so we can go to Busan, so please spread them around," he handed the papers to the person closest to him who took one and handed them to the next person.

As the papers were getting handed around the siren started to ring indicating the end of class and everyone started standing up ready to leave.

"Make sure you get them signed by next week, and don't forget your homework is due Monday," he called out to the people who had already left in hopes they had heard.

"Ah Haechan, Mari- can you two stay back for a second."

Oh no.

Mari looked at Haechan briefly before walking begrudgingly up to the front, bag hanging onto her shoulder loosely by the strap.

"So I am aware that you already have a partner Mari, but Beomseok decided it was a great idea to play soccer on wet grass and he broke his leg, so he will be exempted from this project."

This wasn't looking too good.

"That's where Haechan comes in. You two will now be partners."