CHAPTER XXIX

Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes

LIONEL

I saw Sapphire collapse onto her knees. The fight had been harder than I had calculated on her. Terror clenched my heart. I couldn't help but rush to her aid. I cradled her limp form in my arms. Her skin was pale as ice, her breathing barely audible. Where did all the blood come from? My brain seemed to be on hang mode... I could barely think. Someone caught my arm and moved me off her. I realized it was Michael. The pack doctor rushed forward to check up on her.

"Claw marks..." was the only word she said.

I could hardly control my anger. The bitch had defied the fight rules to hurt... wherever she was, I was going to make sure she paid for it.

"Get her to the infirmary. NOW!" I finally got the mind to vocalize one command. My mind was racing with anxiety, but I knew she would make it. She had to.

****

Throughout the night, I stayed by her side. Her injuries were more severe than I had realized. It took the doctors some time to cease the bleeding. Apparently, some of Sapphire's vital arteries had taken the harm. All the time I kept her hand encased in mine. My presence had the familiar healing effect on her. A few times through the night, I noticed her pulse pick up the pace, which greatly helped calm down my nerves.

And I thought I understood the mate bond. To be honest, the ways it worked, were way beyond even my comprehension. I looked at her pallid face. For some reason, the air was knocked out of my chest every time I looked at her timelessly beautiful face. Even in such a disheveled state, she was just the most gorgeous, woman I had ever seen.

I don't remember when my eyes closed up on their own accord, and I found myself slipping into an uninvited slumber.

****

SAPPHIRE

I felt like someone had pickled and then mummified me. And I mean that literally, my torso was wrapped up in at least five layers of bandage. My mouth was dry. I tried to form words, but my lungs were too weak for allowing me to speak anything. I realized I hadn't opened my eyes yet. My eyelids felt like they were glued to the base, but I somehow managed to pry them open. I was grateful for the room's dim lighting. 

My eyes met another pair of brown ones. I couldn't quite place who they belonged to, I was barely thinking. And before I could comprehend or do anything, I slipped back into unconsciousness.

All night, I kept gaining and losing consciousness. When I did wake up the sun was high in the sky. Even through the curtains, a harsh light blinded me. 

"Oh, you're up. I should tell Lionel before he commits suicide." a voice, I recognized as Rosa's, said. She stood over me, checking my pulse. Her eyes glossed over for a moment and I knew she was mind-linking him.

Slowly, the events of the past night came back to me. I had fainted. AGAIN. Not good. 

"Anyways, how do you feel?" Rosa inquired.

"Like I was stampeded by elephants." I said after thinking for a while.

"Apt, considering your ribs aren't fully healed yet." she said nodding. But the look on her face discerned me. She wouldn't meet my eyes and wasn't her usual, bubbly self.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"No. Why would it be? You won... you're gonna be on your feet in a few days at most." she said giving me a tight smile. I still wasn't convinced. She was holding something back... I wanted to inquire her further, but I just didn't get the chance. Because at the exact moment, Lionel stumbled through the door, panting badly.

"Did you, possibly," Rosa said cautiously, "Run all the way from the training grounds?" 

He didn't reply, his eyes remained fixed on me.

"Hey," I said extending my hand towards him. He readily took it and took a seat beside me. Rosa wisely moved out of the infirmary. Which meant it was just the two of us now.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, his eyes solicitously searching my face. He tenderly kept holding my hand as though he was afraid I would break.

"I'm fine, you know. Rosa says I'll be on my feet in a few days." I reassured him.

"You scared me..." his voice was barely a whisper.

"Oh, get used to it." I rolled my eyes, even though his words warmed me up on the insides. "Help me up, will you?" I asked propping myself up on my elbows. My chest hurt, but I was done being on bed rest.

"You really shouldn't-"

"Shut up and do as I say." 

Lionel sighed but helped me up anyways. I had to make a conscious effort not to wince, but the wound was better than I had reckoned.

"You good?" he questioned, worry etched upon his features. He probably caught my intense expression. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. I wanted to ask you something..." I trailed off, thinking about the question that had been troubling me. To be honest, I was even afraid to mouth it, I wasn't ready for the answer.

 Lionel nodded, encouraging me to ask.

"After I killed her, h-how did the pack react?" Waiting for his answer was probably the toughest thing I had ever done. He sighed and stayed silent for some time.

"I can't say, the reaction was totally positive. Most of the pack... they admire you as a warrior, no one really liked Gloria." My shoulders slumped, at least there was some good news. "But we've got the elders on our bad side, they feel you used magic, because of the way you were... umm glowing. Well, Markus already confirmed that it was just the presence of Trivia." he said making areal quotes.

"Who cares about the elders-" I snorted indignantly.

"You don't know how much power they hold here. They almost dismissed me from my position once... and you've already got one of them on your bad side, the one whose daughter you just killed."

"You're telling me... that, that old bat, Orion, he's the head elder?!"

"I'm afraid he is." he said solemnly. 

"That's the most fucked up thing I've heard all day-"

"Trust me, I know..." he sighed through the nose. "And about the people's reaction, you've got Juliette charmed. I thought she was gonna swoon at the arm ripping thing. And Michael's melting too... he'll be around soon."

"Well, that's good news, at least your own subordinates aren't going to tear apart my throat."

****

A/N 

Hello readers!

How have you guys been :)

Okay, this update wasn't quite eventful, and kinda lousy maybe. Which just shows how lousy I am. My eternal excuse: LOTS OF WORK (it's true)

Well, anyway, how did u guys like this chapter?

not gonna bore you much here's QOTD: -

The longest you've been in hospital? 

Mine is like 2 months, had a pretty bad accident, don't ask.

'k then I'll see you guys in the next update. It might take some time... I'm warning you upfront ;)

Till then, cheers.