CHAPTER XIV

Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone

I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run

You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess

It's a love story, baby, just say, "Yes"

SAPPHIRE

The last week had been mostly uneventful. I had been trying my best to avoid the Alpha as much as I could. Mainly because I hated myself for the plan more than Trivia hated me. Sure, he had stripped me off my powers and imprisoned me, sure he was the son of my parents' murderer, but still... I wasn't a werewolf, but I knew how the mate bond worked. Betrayal would be worse than death. He didn't deserve it. What his father did wasn't his fault.

I knew he loved me more than almost anything in life just by looking in his eyes. Just the affection looked at me with made my insides feel fuzzy. How his brown eyes would bore into my skin, like he could see right through me. Maybe the rumours they spread about weren't fully invalid. Maybe I was a monster. A person who destroyed lives and broke hearts.

How could I even think of cheating him? For once, I hadn't been taken for granted, yet I couldn't look over my past and simply fall in love with him. My feelings for him were so complex, I couldn't process if I saw him as a threat or an ally... a lover or an enemy.

Shut up. You have to get back to your cult. Its your home. Your people need you.

My brain's stern voice system chided. Usually I would abide to what it said. Following its advice always got me what I wanted. But this time I had a feeling it was wrong. I didn't know where my decisions were going to lead me, but whatever it was, I wasn't looking forward to it.

"You look sad." a voice ripped me out of my string of thoughts.

"I just miss my folks." I shrugged looking at Juliette who was sitting across from me on the dining table.

She sighed. I waited for her to say something but she seemed to be lost in her own thoughts.

"You are lucky, Sapphire..." she said finally.

"How so?" I asked.

"At least you have a mate. The moon goddess didn't spare me one." she said miserably.

I let the truth sink in. Almost all wolves had one mate, one person who would give them a chance at love. But some got left out in the process. Some of them would never know what it felt like to have someone care for you more than anyone did. I gripped her hand in mine.

"Listen. You don't need anyone, okay? You are a strong person. You are not alone, there are a lot of people out there for you. And talking about my mate. I don't quiet think of him as part of my life. My life is back at my cult, and I am going back as soon as I get the permission." I said with all the sincerity I had in me.

"Will you really leave?" she asked.

"Yes, and I have made it quite clear to your Alpha too that I don't reciprocate his feelings."

"You think that's true?!" she asked, half amused.

"It is." I confirmed.

Me and that guy? Are you kidding? Maybe, some stupid goddess though we were soul mates, or something but I didn't care. Romantic business was not my thing. I preferred being alone, when no one could influence my decisions, my life, me. Being stuck with one person for all your life was not something I would have liked. I had a bit of dynamism when it came to this. I had been in relationships before other men before this, but there had never been feelings. It was always a fling.