CHAPTER V

Pain is real as a cut that bleeds

The face I see every time I try to sleep

Staring at me crying

SAPPHIRE

He looked at me like I had suddenly grown two heads. I heard Juliette growl from my side. After all that might have sounded a bit threatening to her Alpha's security.

"I killed you, myself." my voice came out barely a whisper. My breathing was heavy. My head was spinning. All the horrors of my childhood were coming back to me. I felt the jail break, as the memories all rushed back at once and I drowned in a pool of unconsciousness.

I sat in the cave. Shivering, not from the cold, but from the shock. I would never see my parents again. I would never see my friends again. I felt a tear make its way down my cheek.

"Sap?" I heard Ralph ask.

"Yeah?" I answered, quickly wiping away my tears and putting on a smile.

The kid snuggled up next to me.

"Where are Mommy and Daddy?" he asked.

"I d-don't know, Ralph. But wherever they are, they are happy. They are watching over us." I said fighting back a sob. I hadn't even told Ralph they were dead. I didn't want to burden my brother with the knowledge. He was too young. I would burst his bubble only when he was ready.

"When can we see them? Mom has to sing me that song."

I couldn't control the tears any more. I wrapped Ralph, my only family, in a hug and sobbed all my pain out.

Suddenly, I was 13.

"Who are you kid? And what are you doing on the Maeonian cult's land?" The woman asked me harshly.

"This is a cult?" I asked barely hiding my smile.

"Of course." she said narrowing her eyes at me and Ralph.

Ralph kept tugging at my sleeve. He wanted to go back. I knew he was scared but this might be our only chance to find a new home.

"I am Sapphire Rosewood ma'am, and this is my brother Ralph. We are in desperate need of a cult that will take us in. Please, give us a home. We have been living like this for 4 years." I said doing my best puppy dog eyes.

Her expression softened a bit.

"Your parents?" she asked.

"They died when our cult was destroyed in a werewolf attack." I said in a small voice.

Now she looked like she was on the verge of tears.

"You are more than welcome to stay, dear."

I almost whooped in joy.

I was 17.

I stood on the raised podium in front of the whole cult as they stared at me with eyes shining pridefully.

"Now take the pledge, Sapphire." the elder said smiling at me.

"I, Sapphire Rosewood, a loyal member of the Maeonian cult, agree to take over the position of the chief warlock of my cult. I pledge myself to mother Trivia, and shall follow her command until my last breath. I am well aware of the responsibilities I am about to take over, and pledge to serve my land with each and every fibre of my existence. I will do anything and everything to keep my people safe and prosperous. Their wishes shall be my priorities. With this I bind my life to this position and I hope that the future beholds the best for us." I said the pledge, and the crowd broke into cheers as the elder handed me the cult's symbol of power, our ancient sceptre, that was passed on from chief to chief since the beginning of the cult.