CHAPTER XVI

I put my armor on, show you how strong how I am

I put my armor on, I'll show you that I am

I'm unstoppable

SAPPHIRE

I didn't sleep that night. The magic in me won't let me. It kept jumping inside of me alongside the unhealthy mixture of feelings inside me. I turned and twisted all night. It was January, and the weather seemed as hot as mid August to me. No position made me feel comfortable.

I had more or less got control over the avalanche of feelings, but suddenly I was feeling physical discomfort that I couldn't quite place. One moment I would feel nauseous and the other I felt so tired, I almost blacked out. Maybe it was just the magic that was trying to come out... but now that the suppression had started to wear off, I could feel exactly to the extent my powers had gotten to. I felt almost ten times more powerful. I could even do simple magic: shifting furniture, repairing the grandfather clock.

Every time, I did a piece of magic, I couldn't help but smile. It felt so nice even to do such basic stuff. It was like I had got my lost best friend back.

I stared at the tendril of green light twisting and turning around my index. My magic probably wouldn't have achieved such a level if I hadn't directed all of it on the physical suppression. Breaking the mental one would alert Ralph of my presence. And I didn't want war on this pack, not because there would be losses, but because I wasn't sure whose side I would be on. Besides some of these people didn't deserve it, they weren't accountable for their Alpha's decisions.

The thought of the Alpha had my insides turning and twisting with disgust once again. A wave of heat washed over me as if someone had started a hot air blower next to me. I frowned. What the hell was happening?

But the thought was immediately lost by my mind when, a ray of sunshine penetrated my room through the curtains.

I checked the clock.

Yup, time to go and get back what was stolen from me.

****

The temple seemed welcoming as ever. I cold wind blew in my face as I opened the door. It seemed to whisper something, almost like beware.

I had never paid much attention to the carving of the torches and the altar. But today a small purple fire burned in the pit. A stick that was probably being held by someone's invisible hand was poking it, urging it to burn brighter. I already knew who it was.

"Trivia." I addressed the goddess, getting into a low bow.

Her form became clear. Though she wasn't in the form of 10-year-old me this time. She was a tall, elegant, dark-haired woman. My throat choked up.

"Mom..." I whispered.

"I am everyone's mother. They all look up to me that way." Trivia shrugged.

I looked at the beautiful face, I had almost completely forgotten. Trivia gave me a smile, the same one my mother used to give me every night before bed.

"Why are you here? I thought you didn't approve of me." I said after I had managed to gather myself up.

"My job description doesn't include being judgemental. I help my subjects on their paths, that's why I am here today." she replied.

"Why this form?" my voice came out barely a whisper.

"Hey, I like it, this lady is beautiful. Besides, I thought appearing as your mother might seem a bit more encouraging."