CHAPTER I

Like a small boat in the ocean

Sending big waves into motion...

SAPPHIRE

I cupped my palms and drank as much water as I could. I was thirsty. After travelling continuously for five hours through this grimy forest, my throat felt like it had been baked. My sword lay by my side, covered in blood of the ogre I had just slaughtered. But it wasn't the monster I had set out after. My real target waited for me some where in the mountains.

After I had drunk water to my heart's content I decided to fill my now empty, bottle and clean the dried blood on my hands and nails. The streams water was cool as ice. I felt better just by immersing my tired arms in the water. Next I decided to clean my sword of the blood. Ogre blood stinks, you know.

That's when I heard the rustling of leaves behind me. I turned to see a pair of brown eyes glaring at me through the bushes. I gripped my sword and readied a firebolt. But the creature didn't advance. It stared at me a few more minutes before disappearing back into the forest.

Probably a rouge animal. Nothing dangerous. I thought.

It had been a long time since I had done a quest. My last quest had been when I was 16. But after I had take the place as the chief warlock of the cult, I had barely done any. The only reason I was on this one was because, it was far too dangerous for anyone else to take up, and I didn't want any casualties. As the leader it was my responsibility to keep everyone safe. Some of my chief warriors had volunteered but I didn't want to risk them. And believe it or not, I was much more skillful than them.

I removed the locket from around my neck, opening it to see the smiling face of my little brother, Ralph. my only family. My parents died in a war when I was 9. Ralph had been a three-year-old kid then. It has been eleven years since that violence and I still shudder to think about it.

I tied the locket around my neck again. I couldn't dwell on those memories.

I have learnt to move on. I muttered my life motto in my head.

And with that, I got up to continue forward on my journey.

****

The forest was silent. The only sound I could hear was the cracking of dry leaves under my feet. For the first time the forest didn't seem dangerous. Instead it was as if something it beheld was creeping it out instead.

For once, nothing came in my way. And I was grateful for that. I hated killing the few predators that dared to challenge me. Such beautiful creatures, wasted.

I knew it was snowing outside the forest, but the snow didn't fall to the ground here. The canopy was so thick it held all of it, excepts for a few drops of water. I didn't mind that. Nevertheless, the cold weather made wrap my leopard skin cloak tighter around me. The real forest floor was almost totally obscured by tree roots. The roots were like a second skin to this area of the forest.

I must have been nearing the mountain. But it was impossible to see what was even 10 meters ahead of me, owing to the lack of sunlight. My neck was tingling. I abruptly turned to look behind me. Nothing moved. I had had feeling that I was being followed since I had stopped at the stream to drink water.

Probably just my nerves. I thought and continued ahead.

The darkness had an aura of fear. The closer I got to my destination, the more I wanted to walk away. To get back home, and curl up in my soft bed. My elemental powers were telling me the presence of mountain nearby. I wanted to light a fire, but I didn't want to risk attracting the monster here. The only place where he could be killed was his own cave. Also, this was the place where he was the strongest.

****

It wasn't a mountain. It more like a slab of rock. It would have been 90-100 feet high, by the looks of it. I sighed. What lay upon this rock may as well be my death. I levitated my rope to fix it in a crack in the rock. Even such a simple spell took so much power. By the time the rope was fixed I was dripping in sweat. I tied the other end of the rope around my waist, using a sticking spell to make the bond stronger.

100 feet climbing an inclination of 90 degrees. What could go wrong?

****

A/N

Heyyy Guys!!

first book, first chapter!

This chapter is not long because this was basically, just an introduction. The story will get more and more interesting as we proceed.

Tell me how you liked the first chapter in the comments.

thanks for reading

ENJOY!!

lots of love :)