Chapter 16

I lay on my bed with about five bags in front of me. I didn't spend half my money, unlike brothers. Nicolo bought a lot of custom shoes. Emiliano bought tons of suits and watches. Adriano bought clothes, shoes, cologne, and a new computer. Carlo bought new suits, crazy expensive shoes, and work items. As for me, I barely touched my card. I bought three more perfume bottles, a couple silk lace dresses, a few jeans and shirts. I was very hesitant about returning the lace dresses when I got back to the my room. My parents had been gone all day, I tried calling them but her phone went straight to voicemail mail. I spent the majority of the day at the pool, visiting the shops in the hotel, and reading.

Near dinner time, I ordered salad and chocolate chip cookies. I turned on the tv and sat back with my bowl of salad. Within about thirty minutes, a soft knock cut off my attention from the tv. I pressed the 'off' button on the remote and moved my half eaten dinner to my bedside table. I opened my door and was startled to see three men in all black, wearing black shades, standing at my door. " We need you to come with us," the guard said, he stood before the other two guards. " I uh, I think you have the wrong room," I said. " Thalia Damitra Galonos," the guard said calmly. I swallowed , how did he know my name? " Who are you guys?" I asked standing up straight. " That's classified information," the guard said calmly. I looked at the other guards before looking back at the one in front of me. " Your parents sent us to collect you," the guard informed. My parents, collect me? What the fuck is going on? " Okay, uh let me get dressed," I said. I was wearing short white shorts and a black tank top, it wasn't really appropriate for roaming about a hotel. " Your attire is fine, please come with us," the guard said. I sighed softly, " okay."
- - -
We made our way down two levels, we walked down many halls before coming up to one door. The first guard stepped aside, I looked at him before walking up to the door. " What's going on?" I asked before knocking. " Your parents will tell you," The guard informed. Tell me what? What the hell was going on? Why did three guards show up to me door? Why did we travel around the whole hotel to finally come up to one room? Why haven't I seen my parents all day? WHY THE HELL ARE WE IN MILAN, ITALY? I pushed aside the annoyed thoughts before turning the door handle and walking in.

The room was pretty dark, the curtains hide the sunlight from outside. The room smelled of cigarette and alcohol, my parents were in here, my dad was in here. " Thalia," my mom whispered. Her voice was thin, it sounded as if she'd been crying. I looked back at the guards, who had a blank expression on. " Thalia come in," my mom whispered. I turned back around and slowly made my way up to them, " what's going on?" My dad and mom sat at a table, six guards stood around us. " Sit down," my dad calmly said. I did as he instructed and sat down in front of my parents, still very confused. " How are you honey?" My mom asked smiling. I looked at her, her eyes were red and puffy, just like they had been last time. The color in her face had drained out, she looked lifeless and depressed. " What's going on?" I asked. At this point, I was scared. Why were we in a closed off room with no light, and six guards around us. Why was my mom sitting in front of me listless? A half drunken alcohol bottle sat next to my dad, a cigarette rested in between his fingers. " We've missed you," my mom said. I looked at her, she was trying her hardest not to cry. " What the hell is going on?" I asked as I began to feel like something terrible as happened. My parents didn't care about my language, my mom could see the concern and pure fear in my eyes and heard it too in my tone.

" How are your brothers? My dad asked. A thick lump began to enlarge in my throat. " Good," I responded calmly. My dad nodded, " did you get the cards I gave Emiliano?" I nodded, my stomach crunched up. My mom inhaled deeply before saying, " we just want to tell you that we love you, and what we did is for your own safety, okay?" My eyes began to water up, but I pushed the tears back. " It was bound to happen sooner or later," my dad said. " You're getting older and time is running out." " What did you guys do?" I asked sternly but calmly. My mom whimpered, she looked down at her lap as tears fell and stained her white pencil skirt. I stared at her as my vision blurred up, I looked back at my dad. " We came here for a reason, we came to Milan for a purpose Thalia," my dad explained. " What for?" I asked sternly. My dad stared at me, not phased by the fact that his wife was crying her eyes out. Not phased by the fact that his daughter was beyond terrified about what was happening. Being in the mafia, being scared and terrified came with everything.

" We're going out to a dinner meeting tomorrow night," my dad said, breaking the silence. I eyed my mother, who still had her head down. " Why?" I asked, looking at my dad. " You'll find out soon," my dad said back. " What is going on, why can't you tell me?" I asked. My dad was quiet before saying, " is your room comfortable?" I scoffed quietly, " I'm fine, Emiliano, Carlo, Adriano, and Nicolo are fine. What is going on?" My mom sniffed and lifted her head, " just, just trust you father and I on this, okay?" I stared at her, trust them on what? What the fuck was going on!

My dad looked past me, at a guard behind me. He nodded before looking at my mom and signing. Two guards walked up beside me, I stared at my parents. " We'll see you tomorrow honey," my mom basically whispered. I had to kick myself to stand up, I felt numb and cold. The thick lump in my throat made breathing impossible. " Please follow us back to you room," the guard on my right said. I stared at my parents, more like glared at them. I slowly turned and made my way to the door. As I exited the room, I heard my mom sobbing.
The walk back up to my room was completely silent, the only thing I could hear was my anxious heart pounding in my chest.
- - -
My window was open, the soft 7 am breeze fluttered into my room. My eyes burnt from crying last night, I can't remember when I fell asleep. I had paced my room the night before, I had called my mom's phone, but she didn't pick up. I inhaled and exhaled many times as I stared out the huge window. The morning Milan city was awake, the smell of bakeries baking filled my room. I guess that was one good thing to be happy about, food always soothed me. My pillow was damp from crying, my chest felt heavy. I didn't know what was happening tonight, I didn't know what my parents were planning tonight either. But all I can say is, after seeing my mom in pain and grief, I couldn't help but think about the worse that could've or did happen. Then, everything that I'd witnessed flooded my mind. The guy at the dinner party, the one on the stage texting my dad. The guy in the blue tuxedo talking to me dad before I had left for the bathroom. The reason why my parents were gone all last night, and then the weird event with Emiliano and the unknown action on his phone. What was he doing? Was it all connected with the fact that my parents had or did plan something? Thinking about all of this gave me a slight headache.

I walked into the bathroom, my hair was messy and my makeup was still on. My makeup stained my face, and I was in a need of a shower. I grabbed a small water bottle from the mini fridge. Plopping two ibuprofens into my mouth, I chugged half of the water bottle before sighing and resting my back against the wall. I tried to think of the good, but everything that happened since we arrived in Milan was mostly painful. One, I had no idea why were even in Milan. Two, my parents were acting weird and secretive. Three, my older brother is acting unlike himself, and I don't like it. And four, after last nights event, I'm terrified to even leave my room.

I undressed and stepped into the shower. The steam unclogged my system and eased my headache. My eyes stung at the heat, but I didn't care. I turned and laid my head back, the water kneaded my scalp, my forehead began to go numb. Water dripped down my neck, the side of my face, the front of my face, my chest, and all they way down to my fingertips and toes. My body tingled, I sighed and allowed the water to take over my system.

Stepping out of the shower, I applied lotion all over myself. I slipped Into some light blue high waisted slim ripped boyfriend jeans, a nude knitted turtleneck vest crop top and a black cropped bomber jacket. I put on some small gold hoop earrings, and a gold necklace that hand my first name Initial on it. Yes, I'm that girl.

My heart and body were still aching after last night's event. Seeing my mother in pieces, unable to maintain herself tore me apart, physically and mentally. I knew today was going to be long, I didn't know if I had the energy to leave my room. And in all, I didn't know if I had the energy for what was In store for me tonight. If what my dad had arranged for me was the event going on tonight, and after seeing my mom in the broken down state she was in last night, I can assure you that I'm not stable for what's about to happen.