Chapter 20

Okay, okay. The girl I told you about, Sophia, she will be very important in this chapter.

I stared at Antonio, his alluring green eyes pierced into mine. My breathing slowed down, suddenly I felt at ease and my anger and hatred towards my family began to crumble. Antonio and I's stare off was interrupted by Antonio's father. " I've heard many things about you," Mr. Brambilla said. I shook out of my daze and looked at him, I smiled. " Your father has said quiet a few things on your behalf," Mr. Brambilla said. I swollowed, what has my father said about me. " You're very brave, intelligent, and beyond beautiful," Mr. Brambilla said. " Antonio is lucky to have you as a wife." I looked at Antonio, who was chatting with an older lady, his mother. " I assume you find the whole mafia thing a struggle, right?" Mr. Brambilla said, starting up small talk. " Uh, yeah," I answered. " Every now and then." My mom smiled, " you train alongside with your brothers?" Mr. Brambilla asked. " No," I said. " I'm still in school and," I was about to say when my father cut in. " My sons are ahead, Thalia would be competing against her brothers, who've been training their whole lives." I mentally rolled my eyes, ahead my ass. Mr. Brambilla nodded, " but I'm sure a girl as persistent and smart as Thalia can pick up anything at anytime." My dad's eyes darkened, it was almost as if Mr. Brambilla was questioning my dad and his teaching skills.

I looked at my dad, my mom put an arm on his arm to calm him down. My dad sighed, " Thalia will be trained when I say so." Mr. Brambilla chuckled, " as so, she is being trained by nothing but the finest Mafia leader in Italy." My dad's mouth was firm and straight, I could tell that he didn't give a shit about Mr. Brambilla and didn't find his small talk humorous.

We all sat down, I sat next to my mom on my right and Antonio on my left. Normally, I didn't feel this enclosed and pristine, but next to Antonio, I felt like I should've taken Myla's advice more serious. I felt like a girl in rags sitting next to Antonio. " I'm not a fan of these things," Antonio said to me. " Getting dressed up and talking to people isn't my idea of fun." I held back a smile, we have one thing in common. " Then why come?" I asked. The corners of Antonio mouth perked up, " if I want to become the next mafia leader in my family, I have to attend these." Antonio looked at me, I didn't realize how close we were sitting. " You're smart, you should know that," Antonio teasingly mocked. I looked at him, gosh he was beautiful. " I don't pay attention to the male rules," I said looking away. Antonio stared at me for a few more seconds before turning his head. Butterflies in my chest increased my anxiety, I needed to leave before I passed out.

" I'll be right back," I said. Antonio looked at me and said calmly, " everything alright?" " Yeah," I said. I gave him a friendly smile before scooting back and standing up, I felt his eyes on my back as I exited the dinning hall. I pushed through the doors and exhaled. My vision had began to blur up, my heart beat increased by a ton. If Antonio was going to soon be my husband, all these irrational feelings had to stop. If I'm going to be sleeping in the same bed as him, living in the same house as him, and eating with him daily, I couldn't get nauseous and fluttery whenever I was around him. Yes, he was literally a walking model from those Italian magazines Grace reads. Now, he's my soon to be husband, nothing could get worse, right?
- - -
I washed my hands and dried them off, I looked at myself in the mirror. I couldn't believe that this was all happening. My eyes began to tear up at the thought of my mom lying to me for eighteen years. I told her as a kid that I wanted to wait until I was ready to get an arranged marriage. I wanted to finish school and try to get into a good college. But now, I'd probably have to throw out everything I'd dreamt of and start a whole new life with a complete stranger. As I walked down the hallway, many people eyed me. Part of me thought maybe it was because my flashy and revealing dress, but then I remembered the very loud arranged marriage that accrued thirty minutes ago. Right as I was about to open the dinning hall and reunite with my family and soon to family, a firm and cold hand grasp my left forearm. " What the," I began to say. I turned around to see Sophia beyond pissed off. " What the hell did you fucking do!" Sophia spat in my face. I hesitated, " I swear to fucking god I'm going to kill you," Sophia said tightening her grasp around my arm. I grabbed her hand and tried to pry it off me, her nails began to dig into my skin. I winced, " what the fuck are you even talking about?" Sophia scoffed, I swore steam was puffing out of her ears. " He was mine and you took him from me you piece of shit!" Sophia yelled into my face. She shoved me against the wall, " I'm going to fucking kill you!" My arm began bleeding from Sophie's nail imprints. " What the hell are you talking about!" I yelled as Sophia dug her nails deeper into my skin. " FUCK YOU!" Sophia screamed. Without hesitation, I kneed her right in the groin. Sophia groaned out in pain and let go of my arm. My chest heaved up and down as I caught my breathe, what was this bitch on? " Who the fuck are you talking about!" I yelled at her. " You're a bitch!" Sophia yelled at me again. She ran at me and slammed me back against the wall, " I'm going to fucking kill you!" I gripped her shoulders and pushed her into the other side of the wall.

Sophia's head smacked against the wall. " I hate you, you fucking bitch!" Sophia yelled into my face. She quickly grabbed my hair and pulled it down. I immediately grabbed Sophia's arm and bent it back. She yelled out in pain and stumbled to the side. At this point, I was heaving and gasping for air. My hair was a mess, my arm was throbbing, and I was so fucking confused. " What the hell is your problem?" I asked as Sophia bend down and caught her breathe. " You bitch!" She yelled at me. " What the hell are you talking about?" I said out of breath. " You took him from me, he was mine!" Sophia yelled. " Who!" I exclaimed. This bitch comes out of fucking no where and accuses me of taking her man, who's man did I take! " You know exactly who I'm talking about," Sophia said standing up. " Clearly not," I scoffed. Sophia sighed and looked at me, she looked so weak and sad. " The guy you just met," Sophia almost whispered. I frowned, " who?" Grace's eyes blurred up, " Antonio." My eyes widened, " Antonia Brambilla?" " She's smart too," Sophia said as she rolled her eyes. My heart softened, " I had no choice In anything." " I don't give a shit!" Sophia yelled at me. I inhaled deeply and said sternly, " I had no choice." Sophia scoffed and shook her head, " I don't want to marry him," I clarified. Grace stared at me, " don't think for one god damn second that I wanted this," I spat out. " I didn't want this, for fucks sack I didn't want any of this!" Sophia stared at me as if I was some sort of psychopath. " Please, cancel the arrangement," Sophia pleaded. She walked up to me and pulled me into a very tight hug. " Please," Sophia begged. " I love him!" I could feel Sophia's lip quiver against my bare shoulder, I stumbled back trying to support both hour body weights. " Please, I love him," Sophia sobbed.

" Why is he so important to you?" I asked. Sophia sniffled, " we were together, secretly." Really, a secret relationship in the mafia, how dumb was this girl? " He was my boyfriend, he was going to propose and we were going to elope," Sophia explained. " I bought a dress and everything, Tony had the ring, everything was planned out." Suddenly, her grasp around my body tightened, her nails dug into my back. " Give him back to me you fucking piece of shit!" Sophia screamed into my ear. She clenched my back, spun around, and smacked me into the wall. " GIVE HIM BACK TO ME YOU BITCH!" Sophia yelled. She grabbed the front of my hair and banged it again, against the wall.

About ten guards rushed out from the dinning hall and ripped Sophia off me. " You whore!" Sophia yelled at me. I caught my breathe and watched as the guards carried Sophia off down the hall. I groaned as my body awoke from the pain, my arm was bleeding from Grace's nail imprints. I was out of breath and beyond confused on what the hell just happened. I stood against the wall trying to refocus. If Sophia thought for one fucking second that I wanted to marry Antonio, she's out of her god damn mind.

I sighed and fixed my hair before walking back into the dinning hall.