Bucky Barnes x reader (drabble)

Under the weather
Pairings | Bucky Barnes x gender neutral!reader
Warnings | fluff, coughing
Word count | 331
Summary | In the 30s, Bucky used to read The hobbit to Steve when he was sick. When you get sick, Bucky resorts to old habits

A small cough bubbled it's way up your throat, you hand flying to your mouth to catch it as you retched

A small cough bubbled it's way up your throat, you hand flying to your mouth to catch it as you retched. Catching your breath, you groaned, leaning back into the soft pillows and wiping the sweat from your forehead.

You felt shit, to put it simply. You'd woken up that morning with a temperature and a runny nose, and that was before the coughing started.

"Oh, honey." Bucky sighed as he stepped into the room, a cool, damp towel rested in his hand. With long strides the super soldier reached you, his long fingers pushing the wet hair up and off your sweat-coated forehead before he placed a gentle kiss there.

The fluttering brush of his lips against your skin was soothing, your eyes sliding shit as you sighed. Bucky smiled against you, replacing his lips with the little towel when he pulled away.

"You feelin' shit, doll?" Bucky mumbled, voice a low rumble as he perched on the bed beside you. You nodded through a whimper, your frame jolting up as another round of coughing overcame you.

A large, warm hand was soothed over your back as you curved forwards, throat raw and scratchy as tears squeezed from your eyes.

"Shh, Shh. You're gonna be okay." Bucky's soft coo echoed, and you barely noticed his weight leave the bed until he was settling back in beside you, guiding your head to rest against his chest.

You instantly nuzzled into him, the end of his braid tickling your temple as you let your eyes close again. His flesh hand ran through your hair, stroking the back of your head comfortingly as his metal hand held the old book spread wide.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."