Steve Rogers x reader (drabble)

Love is a sinister game
Pairings | Steve Rogers x gender neutral!reader
Warnings | angst, mentions of death
Word count | 376
Summary | You and Steve still love Bucky, although he's gone (based off the song Washing Machine Heart by Mitski)

Love is a sinister gamePairings | Steve Rogers x gender neutral!readerWarnings | angst, mentions of deathWord count | 376Summary | You and Steve still love Bucky, although he's gone (based off the song Washing Machine Heart by Mitski)

"Steve?" Your voice seemed small, diminishingly-so in the empty silence of the room. His back was too you - ripples of muscles you knew were there hidden under the thick wool of his jumper.

"I can't do this anymore, y/n." Your heart dropped.

"W-what?" A tremor in your voice was like a broken-hearted sob to Steve's ears.

"C'mon, y/n. We both know you pretend I'm him." As if to fill in the blanks, steve cast his heavy eyes to the picture frame on his bedside table. The one of him and Bucky, laughing and hugging from the good old days.

Suddenly, a lump found its home in your throat.

"S-steve-" the crack in your voice left you cringing away, made you take a moment to blink back the slow onslaught of tears and let the tremor in your voice soften.

"I know you pretend I'm him, y/n. We should stop lying to each other."

"That's rich, coming from you." The emotions unfurled on your tongue, an angered flurry kidnapping your words.

"What?" Steve's voice turned harsher, too, as he turned to face you.

"As if you haven't been in love with him since 19-fucking-30! Steve, I know I loved - love - him, and I know he's gone now but let's not skip over the longing glances and goo-goo eyes you made at him for god knows how long!" Steve was stunned to silence. You took a deep breath, hands raking through your matted hair.

"What happens now?" Steve's voice is so small, so weak, it makes you break.

The tears are a continuous ebb of heartbreak. The man you love is sat in front of you - with red-rimmed eyes and a sniffling nose - whilst you cry your heart out over another man who he too loves.

God, when did this all get so fucking twisted?

"Love is a sinister game." Steve mumbled, and it took you half a second to figure out you'd said that out loud.

A dry, humourless chuckle left your lips. A sinister game, indeed.